Bathroom Tub and Tile Re-glazing in Chicagoland

Bathroom Tub and Tile Re-glazing in Chicagoland

Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 7 votes

Hi BPers -

Has anyone used a tile re-glazing company that they would recommend in the Chicagoland area? For those of you who have re-glazed before, how has the re-glazing worked out from your experience? 

Thanks,

Marco

 

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y

@Marco Pangilinan I have had probably 20 tubs re-glazed at buildings I own in Berwyn and Cicero. All of the ones I had done by generalists/handymen have failed in under a year (and in some cases in under a month). The kits they sell at the big box store do not work. You have to find a guy who uses the commercial grade stuff. Then you will get 5-7 good years from what I have heard. 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Marco Pangilinan I have had probably 20 tubs re-glazed at buildings I own in Berwyn and Cicero. All of the ones I had done by generalists/handymen have failed in under a year (and in some cases in under a month). The kits they sell at the big box store do not work. You have to find a guy who uses the commercial grade stuff. Then you will get 5-7 good years from what I have heard. 

  • Lender · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    @Marco Pangilinan

    To add to @John Warren's statement, I tried getting quotes for the commercial stuff and it ends up being almost as expensive as replacing the darn thing.

    Reglazing a vanity top was $400-$700! The entire vanity was $300. I get it, they have to have someone come out, do all the labor, etc. when the world we live in materials are cheap and labor is expensive, hence why you toss your toaster out when it stops working instead of taking it to the repair guy.

    A tub and tiles a are bit more costly and permanent so it might be worth it yet be cautious and make sure you compare before paying $800 to reglaze a bath for 5 years when replacing would've cost you $1,500 and lasted 20. 

  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    6y

    I have had several 90 year old tubs reglazed.....looks great at first but is not very durable, even the guys who are the pros can only do so good, DO NOT use the hardware store over the counter refinish kits, they are garbage...the pro job will last 5+ years but they will eventually chip or peel(some sooner than others) and/or if your tenant uses the wrong cleaners(abrasives like AJAX) it will speed up that failure. They are still passable in the right market for up to 10 years, but, will not be perfect and will be a negative to a discerning tenant. 

    It usually cost around $250ish, if it hasn't been previously reglazed, and another $50 more if it has.

    It cost about that much for a new glazed steel tub, and then probably as much to install ...so, you save some money at first but, in the long run it is better to try and replace the tub if you intend to hold the property and/or will need to retile(the more expensive part of the renovation) and have good tenants that will not settle for small chips or signs of wear.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Marco Pangilinan I normally re-glaze the tubs to save the demo cost and to save from having to re-do the plumbing. It also saves probably a day and a half to two days on the turn around. I think I was paying around $300 to have the tub re-glazed last year when I did a few. You will see quotes that are all over the map, but if you are paying more than 300-400 then you it probably doesn't make sense to refinish. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    We've tried it with a few SFR's BUT as above all failed quickly. On the last SFR we just got bath fitter in to do it in a day. We only had a couple of days between tenants (new tenant was a Veterinarian) & no time to gut it.

  • Jason MarcordesPro Member
    Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 154 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @Marco Pangilinan I've used a handful but none I'd recommend. However, I did stumble across a company called Budget Refinishers last month. I haven't used them yet but I came across them doing a job at a high end hotel in the Loop so although I can't vouch for them, I would assume they do pretty good work. If you want their number, shoot me a DM and I'll pass it along.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Jason Marcordes can you text me their info as well?

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I used a kit from home depot that was if I remember only $40. It's been almost a year and still looks like new. Make sure you clean it super good. 

  • Jason MarcordesPro Member
    Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 154 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @John Warren Yes sir, I'll send it over shortly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    I highly recommend Arlington Porcelain Refinishing Inc. (https://www.arlingtonbathtubs.com). I've had fantastic results with their professional tub reglazing in my 102 year old building in Chicago. 3-flat building so three tubs reglazed. The one in my unit was done 6 years ago and looks as good as it did the day it was reglazed - I'm not kidding. Daily showers, baths here and there throughout the month - holding up beautifully. So I had same done on my first floor tub two years ago. Family of three - one toddler plus a pooch. Lots of daily baths and showers for two years. Was in there recently - looks like new. I just had a tenant turnover in my 2nd floor unit and had the crappy, peeling, yellowing tub refinish done by a different company sanded off and reglazed by Arlington. The finish looks like glass and feels like butter (that finish will last). I imagine this is how these old original tubs looked in 1918. Beautiful. Arlington warranties their work, highly professional, they know what they are doing. This is not car paint; the material they use is way more durable and really holds up. Just don't scrub the finish with Bon Ami and you'll be fine for many years. I've had no trouble getting tenants to follow tub care instructions, which really are simple (no abrasive cleaners; use one of the dozens of other non-abrasive options) because they can't believe how great the tub is. 

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Lisa Brooks approximately what did they charge per tub? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    6y

     @John Warren - I paid about $600/tub. Apologies - should have included that in my original message. If I were to replace the tubs it would cost more than that to have the old ones removed and area prepped for replacements. And the replacements wouldn't be as deep, or solid, or look as good. Mine are old soaker tubs. 

    About the price - my tubs were ROUGH. I have used other services including "green" ones. The finish simply never lasted like this one does. It doesn't peel, it doesn't yellow, it feels smooth not pebbly, the shine is consistent across the tub inside and out, and it remains easy to clean. If you do this in a tenant unit definitely consider adding the non-skid coating to the bottom of the tub - the tub will be slippery without it.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Lisa Brooks great info! Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.