Roofer Recommendation Chicago - Lakeview/Roscoe Village

2 Replies

Hello all,

I need to replace a roof on my property on the border of Lakeview and Roscoe Village. It's a gable roof with regular asphalt shingles. I knew I'd need to replace the roof soon after buying it in 2018, and that time has come. 

Does anyone have any recommendations from previous experience?

Originally posted by @Brian Medansky :

Hello all,

I need to replace a roof on my property on the border of Lakeview and Roscoe Village. It's a gable roof with regular asphalt shingles. I knew I'd need to replace the roof soon after buying it in 2018, and that time has come. 

Does anyone have any recommendations from previous experience?

I'm not sure if you are looking to do the job asap, but if so I'd recommend you hold off until the spring. Unless you have a few sunny days in a row of 50 degree temps or higher, the strip that seals each layer of shingles together is likely not to activate. That means either they won't seal down period, or dust will weaken the seal. During the next high wind, those shingles will uplift and/or blow off all together, and due to the lack of seal, the manufacturer's warranty will be void. There is also the issue of it being more difficult to install as the shingle is more brittle, and its much easier for the nails to blow through the shingle during install.

Temperature isn't the end-all if your roof is completely shot - shingles can be held in a heated tent until they are ready to be installed, handled more carefully, and hand-sealed. But that is going to increase the labor cost SUBSTANTIALLY so its just not worth it in most cases.