DM Urban Revitalization Plan areas and Rent Cert renewal

DM Urban Revitalization Plan areas and Rent Cert renewal

Iowa City, IA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 2 votes

Hi Des Moines community!

I've been absent from the forums due to finishing my master's thesis, which interrupted me in the start of my search several months back in the Des Moines area for a cash-flowing rental possibility.

Now that I've turned in the thesis (yaaaay!!!), I've hit the listings again and come upon a duplex that is included in the Urban Revitalization Plan (4A specifically); I understand there is some tax abatement on improvements up to $20,000 in 5 years on multi-families under 4 units. This would be a 2 unit building that probably needs more than 20k in rehab. Does anyone have any experience with the Urban Revitalization Plan areas and investing there? I am sure there are more details I'm missing but I would love to hear anyone's contributions on this. 

Also, the rental certificate is expired, so I was wondering where/how one renews this and how much it generally runs-please post links/phone numbers if you know!

Final question is beyond trulia and zillow's numbers, how do we find definitive property tax numbers for Des Moines properties? I spent about an hour today poking around Polk County tax assessor and other websites, and managed to locate this property but I couldn't find any specific numbers for taxes/tax history on the properties. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot, in advance! You guys were very helpful before, and I'm excited to hear more from you and possibly make it out to a meet-up while I'm in Iowa this summer!

Dave

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
8y

Is it a true duplex or a conversion? Careful as some areas they will require it to be finished as a single family if not a true multi. This just happened by Drake on a property.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Granger, IA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Just click on estimate your taxes link when looking at a specific property and that should give you a pretty good idea of what property taxes are.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    http://web.assess.co.polk.ia.us/cgi-bin/web/tt/infoqry.cgi?tt=home/index Enter address, treasurer tax statement, tax installment. Shows many years of actual property taxes paid on property.
  • Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
    8y

    Is it a true duplex or a conversion? Careful as some areas they will require it to be finished as a single family if not a true multi. This just happened by Drake on a property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.