Louisville, KY · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 14 votes
I was reading through one of the blog posts on BP and someone commented that they heavily base their choice of where to buy rental properties on the school score ratings. I was thinking to myself about how not particularly good and completely convoluted the Louisville school district system is and while that could be a good methodology/consideration in basically every other city in America, I don’t think that works here with the same potency because of the bussing. (Disclaimer: my kids are in a public school I love and fully support but it is not our “neighborhood” school)
Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 75 votes
8y
@Joanna Dennis It is all about risk tolerance. Typically lower end areas will cash flow higher, but require more maintenance and management. Higher end areas have more reliable tenants, but the return on investment is usually lower. I would find an area you are comfortable walking through and start from there. You can talk with other investors about specific zip codes and connect with local property management to find out if they have any recommendations that fit your investment goals.
The hardest investment decision is the first investment. After that things become much easier and you will eventually learn ways to streamline things.
Louisville, KY · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 14 votes
8y
Thanks @Michael Pearse, I completely agree. There are a couple areas that are closer to my house and good/less sketchy rental areas that I am in the process of getting into. I guess my post was more of a musing/observation. As you alluded to, there are of course many other factors when choosing a location to invest.