Lock on bedroom door in large single family

Lock on bedroom door in large single family

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 7 votes

Hi all, a tenant has asked for us to install a lock on the bedroom they have chosen in a large single family house (lease is 1yr, joint tenants). Are there restrictions against this, or conversely is there anything requiring that we do install a lock? The property is in Dorchester.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 32 votes
10y

Glad they asked! Most tenants would just install one. If you do allow it (I don't see the harm), make sure you get a copy of the key in case of emergency.

David

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Is it a rooming house with individual rooms rented ?

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Hi Greg - no, all occupants are joint tenants on the same lease.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    Glad they asked! Most tenants would just install one. If you do allow it (I don't see the harm), make sure you get a copy of the key in case of emergency.

    David

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Thanks David and Greg for the replies! I am worried that in an eviction it might make the joint and several lease be interpreted as separate leases... is that just me being over-cautious?

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    That's a legal question.  While I'm happy to offer bad legal advice, I'd run it by an attorney.

    PS - I also offer bad medical advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.