Eviction Question About Tenant Not Living at my Residence

Eviction Question About Tenant Not Living at my Residence

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

I have a brother who in 2018 asked if he could use my home address to register himself and get his drivers license.  Since then, he has been living out of state, out of touch.  I want to have him evicted or pay rent for using my address and voting in the county I live in, without living here, or being in touch.  Should I call an attorney?  Could I get legal fees covered by him for that in the end?

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Jimmy Albert

    Are you renting the apartment to someone else, or is he still occupying your apartment?  There is no need to evict someone that is not living there.  Eviction is for the purpose of removing a tenant.  The fact that he has not updated his address is pretty much not your concern as a landlord.  I get that you are trying to make it your concern...but if you have an actual paying tenant in the unit I would just leave well enough alone.  

    If you are concerned about the 'fraud' aspect of your brother, I would reach out to the voter registration board in your county and/or DMV with a phone call and ask them if this is something you need to report and go with whatever they say. 

    All the best!

    Randy 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Jimmy Albert

    OK, why is this important to you?

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    You cannot evict someone from using your mailing address. Eviction is 'the action of expelling someone, especially a tenant, from a property; expulsion.' If your brother isn't occupying the property, then eviction is not an option.  And, since you gave him permission to use your address, it isn't an illegal act in itself.  It appears you want to be paid for 'this service' versus having concern over him doing illegal activity. As you can see from an internet search, your option would be to return any mail received at your house:  https://www.avvo.com/legal-ans...

    If you know where he is, send him a letter/email/text letting  him know that you will no longer be able to allow him to use your address and that all mail addressed to him will be returned to the sender as 'addressee unknown."  Not sure you'll receive a warm response from him but at least he will know that he has to make other arrangements.

    Best.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.