Investing in Detroit Metro Area - Need Advice

Investing in Detroit Metro Area - Need Advice

Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes

Hello BP member from Detroit

I am an active investor from Houston, TX  and I am planning to start investing also in Detroit Area.

Someone I know recommended Hazel Park and Madison Heights as a good place to start

Just want advice from locals about the following

  •  areas you may recommend for rentals and Fix and Flips.
  • Areas to avoid
  • Good local real estate groups
  • An investor Friendly title company

Thanks for your great feedback.

I am planning a trip to Detroit in the next month to learn more about the area and right now I am just doing research prior to trip

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Saint Clair Shores, MI · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 3 votes
9y

I use both "Greater Macomb Title" in Sterling Heights and also "Chirco Title" in Saint Clair Shores a lot. I have been very pleased with both of them so far.

As far as locations Hazel Park and Madison Heights are good. Depending on your strategy there are a lot of areas that have very good investment opportunities.

For mid priced flips: Sterling Heights, Chesterfield, Saint Clair Shores, Northern part of Warren, Ferndale and more

Higher-end flips: Royal Oak, parts of Berkley, Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield, Rochester.

High cashflow rentals: Roseville, Eastpointe, St Clair Shores (if find good deals), Warren.

Depending on your strategy, goals, expectations, and team there are a lot of great investments to acquire in the Detroit area. I wish you the best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hello Hector! those are good areas. I actually started my first 2 rentals in those very cities. Very happy so far. I'm also a realtor so when you're in town I'm happy to help you out if you need anything. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Matthew McCall-Stillman, I will let you know when I schedule my trip and we can meet in your office or for some coffee.

    I think it may be by the end of October to try to attend the MREI as well.

    Take care

    Hector

  • Investor · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Sounds good!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    Hi @Hector Perez,

    I would add that there are good and bad investments in any area, especially in Detroit and the Metro Detroit area. It is important that you work with someone who is very experienced in the market and can help match your risk/return comfort level with the right property/neighborhood. You also want to have a strong boots on the ground team/property management you trust.

    There are some great real estate groups for example MetroDetroitRealEstateInvestorsGroup

    We specialize in turnkey properties in the Metro Detroit area, so if you have any questions in that area let me know.

  • Linda LabbePro Member
    Investor · North Bay, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 709 posts · 262 votes
    10y

    Detroit  is  a block by block  city  you need good boots  on the ground to negotiate it  but even with that said it is a great place to invest.. love working there  lucky to have a strong boots on the ground team/property management that I have met and trust

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Robert Syfert for the feedback, I will have boots on the ground, before getting started, just looking for feedback about areas investors like in Detroit metro area, not interested in the inner city at this time just subburbs and an investor friendly title company.

    @Linda Labbe, thanks for the comment, At this moment I am looking for feedback in areas other investors like. I will have a strong team on the ground when I start, but at this moment I am doing my due diligence, so i am looking for  potential contacts or title company information that I can meet when I visit the area by the end of the month

  • Investor · Saint Clair Shores, MI · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I use both "Greater Macomb Title" in Sterling Heights and also "Chirco Title" in Saint Clair Shores a lot. I have been very pleased with both of them so far.

    As far as locations Hazel Park and Madison Heights are good. Depending on your strategy there are a lot of areas that have very good investment opportunities.

    For mid priced flips: Sterling Heights, Chesterfield, Saint Clair Shores, Northern part of Warren, Ferndale and more

    Higher-end flips: Royal Oak, parts of Berkley, Troy, Birmingham, Bloomfield, Rochester.

    High cashflow rentals: Roseville, Eastpointe, St Clair Shores (if find good deals), Warren.

    Depending on your strategy, goals, expectations, and team there are a lot of great investments to acquire in the Detroit area. I wish you the best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.