What kind of painting quotes do you get? (interior)

What kind of painting quotes do you get? (interior)

Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes

Hello beautiful people of BP KC,

I'm getting an apartment worked on now. Frankly not sure I got the right guy(s), but that's a different story altogether and not about price. 

I got several quotes for a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment, approx 850 sqft, for ceiling and walls. I had one guy that was going to do it for a great deal, but had health problems and cancelled. The other guys quoted me around $1500-2700. 

That might be the going rate, but still a tough pill to swallow considering it might last 1-2 tenants. Obviously on reason why long term tenants are great. On the flip side, I'm replacing all the carpet w/ vinyl plank flooring for $2500 that, hopefully, I won't have to touch for 30 plus years. Much better ROI.

I know that it isn't an apples to apples comparison, but all the same, what kind of prices do you get? If you got someone that does good work for cheap, please PM me.

Thanks everyone

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Port Tobacco, MD · Member since 2008 · 20 posts · 7 votes
9y

Hello Dustin,

Assuming the walls are paint ready, I'd expect to pay about $1000.  

If the vinyl plank flooring is a good quality product, such as Trafficmaster Allure, I think you're getting a good price.  And it's great not replacing carpet every few years.    

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Port Tobacco, MD · Member since 2008 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Hello Dustin,

    Assuming the walls are paint ready, I'd expect to pay about $1000.  

    If the vinyl plank flooring is a good quality product, such as Trafficmaster Allure, I think you're getting a good price.  And it's great not replacing carpet every few years.    

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bill H.:

    Hello Dustin,

    Assuming the walls are paint ready, I'd expect to pay about $1000.  

    If the vinyl plank flooring is a good quality product, such as Trafficmaster Allure, I think you're getting a good price.  And it's great not replacing carpet every few years.    

     Yea, I guess in my mind, I was expecting around $1000 all in. This one did have some other minor work that needed done, but not a ton and basically came in at least $1500 except for the first guy that had health problems.

    Agreed on the flooring. If carpet still looks really good, I'll leave it, but I'm generally phasing it out of my units. 

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 609 posts · 321 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Wielgolinski:

    I am not a n the KC market, but there are a few factors to consider for interior paint.
    Are the walls paint ready?
    How many colors?
    What about trim?
    Ceiling a different color/finish?
    Vacant or occupied?

    In Clearwater, I pay about $1.25 a square foot for one color, trim in gloss and ceiling white. Additional colors add a bit to the per square foot price.

    Painting is one of those things that isn't terribly technically challenging. Could save a grand and blow a weekend...

     You're right about doing it yourself and saving money. I just want to automate landlording as much as possible w/o me doing work.

    And good points about colors/trim/etc. This particular apartment, and probably most of mine, does require minor cracks and whatnot to be filled prior to paint. But we're not talkign extensive repairs either. All one color for all walls. All white ceilings. Trim is stained, so no painting of trim (which should be a nice money saver). We're talking about a little prep work and spray for mine.

  • Investor · La Crescenta, CA · Member since 2013 · 174 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    I was recently quoted $2700 for ~900 sf apt for a very thorough job.  That seemed too high for a rental.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Hi Dustin, check out Homeadvisor's calculator:

    http://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/

    I also like to use this one since it's a bit more precise:

    https://www.remodelingcalculator.org/interior-pain...

    Once you have a ballpark, bid the job on homeadvisor or thumbtack.com or call the pro desk at your local home depot and ask who they'd recommend.  Make sure the quote specifies # of coats, baseboards/trim if needed, and wall patch/prepwork.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.