KC Lenders for Multi-Family with Low DownPayment

KC Lenders for Multi-Family with Low DownPayment

Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 5 votes

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a Lender that is open to work with triplex / quad-plex?  My current lender is currently only open to duplex and having access to Triplex/Quadplex will allow me more options to choose from.  Now that I am thinking about it, a triplex may actually work out better for me since the vacancy risk will be diversified.

I was also under the impression that only FHA will work for downpayment less than 20%, but I have just heard from someone that some conventional loans may work with 5% down payment too. In this case, the conventional loan may actually work better for people with high credit score - is this correct?


I am looking for a property in the South KC region but have also heard that lenders are sometimes concerned about being out of state.  Would a lender based in KC-KS typically be concerned about financing a property in KC-MO area?

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
6y


@Eka Linwood FHA financing does allow 1-4 units. There is a 3% conventional option as well that you could possibly look at. Will you be occupying one of the units as your primary residence? Conventional financing vs FHA is usually best if you have good credit, but every situation is different with each property. Reach out to me if you have any other questions, I do these loans.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Eka Linwood conventional 5% is for single family only.

    There are several lenders who can do 3.5% FHA on a 3-4plex. Keep searching, they are a dime a dozen.

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    6y


    @Eka Linwood FHA financing does allow 1-4 units. There is a 3% conventional option as well that you could possibly look at. Will you be occupying one of the units as your primary residence? Conventional financing vs FHA is usually best if you have good credit, but every situation is different with each property. Reach out to me if you have any other questions, I do these loans.

  • Property Manager · Blaine · Member since 2015 · 209 posts · 276 votes
    6y

    @David Kelly I would think you might have your best luck contacting a mortgage broker in the area. Use their work and contacts

  • Rental Property Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the responses guys! I ended up reaching out to a couple of local lenders in the area and ended up being pre-approved for the FHA loan through one of the lenders who are willing to work with triplex. The mortgage limit is kinda low, but this works!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.