Kansas City Property Managers

Kansas City Property Managers

Investor · Long Island City, NY · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 18 votes

Hi, Bigger Pockets!

I'm vetting new Property Managers for my 2 Single Family Homes in KCMO.

Does anyone have a recommendation or experience with any of the below?

See below for some preliminary stats:

Thank you in advance for any help!

Best,

johanna

Northpoint Asset management

www.northpointam.com

Monthly fee= $85 Flat fee

Leasing fee : 50% months rent

Renewal fee : None

Renters Warehouse

https://renterswarehouse.com/?...

Monthly fee= $109.00 Flat fee

Leasing fee : Full months rent

Renewal fee : $350 Flat fee

Key Partners Property Management Group Kansas City

https://keypartnerspm.com/

Monthly fee= $5%

Leasing fee : 75% months rent

Renewal fee : 50% months rent

PMI of Kansas City

https://www.kansascitypropertymanagementinc.com/johnson-county-homes-for-rent#properties?

Monthly fee= 7-9%

Leasing fee : 50% months rent

Renewal fee : None

Voepel Property Management

-Called them no response -

1Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 22 votes
6y

I am working with multiple PM in KCMO.

KC home rentals is a large company that manages over 900 units, while they have not been overly communicative they have responded when i needed and got my home rented.

Nothpoint while pricey has been very communicative to my emails and is managing my rental well.

Hunter properties is a small business and only takes on properties selectively depending on neighborhoods They are currently overseeing my properties in Raytown and are the best. Great service, fantastic communication.I wish they would take all my properties!

Hope this helps!

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flushing, NY · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    I'm pleased with Voepel so far. They answer when I call and respond to emails the same day. I've heard that they don't accept new clients with fewer than 5 properties if they weren't referred from Bridge (but I have not confirmed this with them).

    Voepel's current fees are:
    Monthly fee= 8-10%

    Leasing fee : 50% months rent

    Renewal fee : 25%

    While fees are important, I'd have a list of questions to ask them to better informed on how they do things and if they align with what you want.
    I got mine from Chris Clothier's turnkey book, but I'm sure there are plenty on BP too.

  • Realtor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    What about maintenance? Most charge a fee for that. I would ask them. 

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Johanna R.

    Run for your life on PMI of KC!

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Yes, PMI is the absolute worst. They are currently ghosting me. I am desperate to find a better company!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2019 · 80 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    I am working with multiple PM in KCMO.

    KC home rentals is a large company that manages over 900 units, while they have not been overly communicative they have responded when i needed and got my home rented.

    Nothpoint while pricey has been very communicative to my emails and is managing my rental well.

    Hunter properties is a small business and only takes on properties selectively depending on neighborhoods They are currently overseeing my properties in Raytown and are the best. Great service, fantastic communication.I wish they would take all my properties!

    Hope this helps!

  • Lender · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    I have several clients using Voepel and are very pleased.  Ad Astra Realty is another excellent property manager.

  • Insurance Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 370 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Paul Higbie

  • Insurance Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 370 posts · 127 votes
    6y

    @Erica Schubach you should reach out to @Colin Douthit at Atlas Property Management.  He and his team are tremendous!

  • Property Manager · Kansas City · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    @Erica Schubach I would be glad to help you out if you want to send me a PM.  Let's get you to a better PM

  • Sean H.Pro Member
    Investor · Smithfield, VA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Johanna R.

    I work with Ad Astra and if you are looking for the PM part of your team; I would highly recommend them.

  • NV · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Johanna R. Who did you end up going with?

  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Hi @Johanna R. curious too which firm did you choose in the end? 

    Anyone here has some experience with HomeRiver Group Kansas City? Thanks.

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Warren Qi:

    Hi @Johanna R. curious too which firm did you choose in the end? 

    Anyone here has some experience with HomeRiver Group Kansas City? Thanks.

     Warren- I use 816 Property Management in KC. I am an out-of-state investor and they have been extremely helpful in all aspects of property management. Reach out to @Nicholas Helm and he can help you! 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    @Johanna R.

    Wow, you're potentially setting yourself up to get screwed!

    How you ask?

    By focusing solely on the pricing you've listed.

    Read below for advice:

    In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make when selecting a Property Management Company (PMC) is ASSUMING instead of CONFIRMING.

    It's often a case of not doing enough research, as they don't know what they don't know!

    Owners mistakenly ASSUME all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, so price is the only differentiator.

    So, the first question they usually ask a PMC is about fees - instead of asking about services and HOW those services are executed.

    EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!

    This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.

    The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!

    We have a 14-page management contract that we've added our real experiences to over the years, with the intent of protecting both us AND the landlord. Beyond the Monthly Management, Placement & Maintenance fees, all other fees in our contract are IF EVENT -> THEN fees.

    We don’t know any PMCs to recommend in the area mentioned, but since selecting the wrong PMC is usually more harmful than selecting a bad tenant, you might want to read our series about “How to Screen a PMC Better than a Tenant”:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to-screen-a-pmc-better-than-a-tenant-part-1-services-and-processes

    We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.

    EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!

    P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊

  • Attorney · Durham, NH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 126 votes
    4y
  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Johanna R. Unfortunately you have to kiss a lot of frogs sometimes to find the right PM. DM me and I'll share who we are working with.

  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Thanks a lot @Jake Klima,  I am an out of state investor as well. will talk to 816 property management. 

    I am currently using HomeRiver Kansas City, the experience so far is not good. I am wondering anyone else here heard something about them or had some experience with them as well. 
    Quote from @Jake Klima
  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 157 posts · 162 votes
    4y

    I've been using Home River Group and there have definitely been communication issues… as in taking an unreasonable (in my opinion) amount of time to answer questions. Their fees are withdrawn quickly… there answers not so much in my experience. Evaluating other options and as REI is newer to me… not sure if slow responses are par for the course.

  • Property Manager · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2022 · 78 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    Lots of options to choose from. You just need to find someone that makes you and your property a priority. Communication is super important.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Highly recommend speaking to @Laura Marks!

  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Spencer Smith:

    Highly recommend speaking to @Laura Marks!

    thank you! I will reach out to @Laura Marks in PM.
  • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @George Red:

    I've been using Home River Group and there have definitely been communication issues… as in taking an unreasonable (in my opinion) amount of time to answer questions. Their fees are withdrawn quickly… there answers not so much in my experience. Evaluating other options and as REI is newer to me… not sure if slow responses are par for the course.


     Hi @Georg Red, have they yet managed tenant turnover for you yet? I have three turnover with them in about 1 year time for my fourplex. It is crazy that the shortest time for them to place a tenant is one and a half month. One of my units are sitting in the market for almost three months and they still cannot lease it out. the properties are in excellent conditions and very good neighborhood.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 157 posts · 162 votes
    3y

    @Warren Qi I recently closed on a vacant property and have chosen to use my realtor to help place tenants as opposed to Home River Group... my thought being that if they're slow to respond to me they may also be slow to respond to prospective tenants... learning as I go and so far the realtor has had the posting for about a week and a half in late fall/early winter and there are multiple applicants to sort through.

  • Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    @Johanna R. I had a very bad experience with Voepel. I went to visit my properties and found plenty of repairs they charged me for, that were in fact never done. Needless to say I terminated them

  • Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    @Johanna R. I currently work with KC home rental and overall have a good experience working with them. To me what is most important is responsiveness and effective problem solving. They do both well

    • Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Amir Navabpour:

      @Johanna R. I currently work with KC home rental and overall have a good experience working with them. To me what is most important is responsiveness and effective problem solving. They do both well

       Hi @Amir Navabpour, thank you for sharing your experiences. Are you still using KC Home? If you are, how have been your experience since then? do you think they could always find competitive vendors for your maintenance, particularly the make ready project (compared to management fees, these are the biggest cost of a investor, and a key part to separate good PMs from bad PMs, in my opinion, this is the cost item that PM and owners have conflict of interests)? how about their effectiveness in placing good tenants? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.