North Carolina Landlord/Tenant laws

North Carolina Landlord/Tenant laws

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hi BP friends,

I would like advise on where/how I can obtain information on

North Carolina Landlord/Tenant laws. From what I understand, different counties might also have different laws, too. 

Thanks,

Rachel

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    The North Carolina Real Estate commission is where to start then a Property manager in NC (which I am in Wake county). Feel free to message me if you have specific questions. But I also went to the commission web site and copied the link to their Renting Residential Real Estate FAQ (see below). 

    http://www.ncrec.gov/Brochures/Print/Renting.pdf

    Im not sure I have enough to go on around county to county differences I believe for the most part we all play by the same rules. However, there are some municipality differences in how you pay taxes or have to registering your property as a rental. There are also significant differences between vacation rentals and long term rentals. 

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    The "laws" are defined in statutory terms (the General Statutes) in and you will see the same (or very similar) wording in the NC Bar form leases.

    Municipalities, cities, and counties in NC can no longer charge a fee for residential rental property registration effective January 1, 2017. That's per McCrory signed middle of last year. Here's the that also includes new protocols on the state level for what some counties and cities call "nuisance property". This may put to rest those cities abusing landlords with drive-by and other subjective condemnations and drummed up violations. Not naming anyone or any city, but the days of charging owners $2,350 type fines for registering a rental property late because of an incompetent property manager should be over.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.