Rehab property: Home inspector or general contractor needed

4 Replies

Hi All,

I'm looking at an early 1900s property in the Columbus area that would need a full rehab being sold AS-IS. I'd be doing a lot of the work on it myself or with the help of knowledgable family and friends, but hoping to get an "expert" opinion before I buy so that I don't get myself in over my head. Hoping to have someone walk the property with me and help me get a better overall picture of what is needed and any particularly concerning problem areas. Not sure if this would be the domain of a home inspector or general contractor, but would need to be someone familiar with distressed properties.

Anyone interested or have a suggestion on a trustworthy person to contact?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Originally posted by @Dan T. :

Hi All,

I'm looking at an early 1900s property in the Columbus area that would need a full rehab being sold AS-IS. I'd be doing a lot of the work on it myself or with the help of knowledgable family and friends, but hoping to get an "expert" opinion before I buy so that I don't get myself in over my head. Hoping to have someone walk the property with me and help me get a better overall picture of what is needed and any particularly concerning problem areas. Not sure if this would be the domain of a home inspector or general contractor, but would need to be someone familiar with distressed properties.

Anyone interested or have a suggestion on a trustworthy person to contact?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

How big is the project? We have a guy I could refer you to that would act as a General contractor but the project would need to be at least $50k. Everyone in columbus is busy right now. Small jobs are getting put on the back burner. 

@Dan T.   Have you found someone to take a look at this yet?  If you have it under contract I could probably walk it with you and give you an idea of what you're working with.  Or if you want a more thorough home inspection let me know and I'll PM you a guy's name and number.

@Robert Ellis @Matt Stewart Thanks for the responses guys. Thinking I'm going to pass on this one for a number of reasons, but if I change my mind I'll be in touch. If either of you are familiar with the Olde Towne East area, I'd be curious what you think of it based on the MLS listing (zillow) to gut check my reaction.

@Dan T.   I've got a partner who really likes Old Towne East as well as Southern Orchards and other inner city areas that are going through some revitalization.  There's some opportunity there.  Run your numbers carefully and look closely at comps so you understand the type and quality of improvements you'd need to get top dollar.  Rehab budgets can add up very quickly so make sure of your numbers before you jump into something.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.