Heading to Cleveland, Recommended Areas

Heading to Cleveland, Recommended Areas

CA 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 1 vote

Hello all, 

My first post here. I am in the process of getting getting an investment property Cleveland Area. I should note, I am in California and really don't know anything about Cleveland area.  Now, I have a my first trip to Cleveland planned in two weeks to meet with an agent and have them show me around the area and show some properties.  I won't have much time while I am there so I want to make sure I personally see the areas that would be appropriate for what I am looking for. 

I am interested in property in C+ to B area that is around 1) SFH for around $80K range 2) Multi Family House in $120K range. I am not looking for fixers and hopefully properties that will require minimal rent ready prep.

So Cleveland experts here, any particular area is a must see area for my first trip? I've been reading that West Side is better than east side and also heard Old Brooklyn area is good. 

Any susggestions would be

1Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Michael Choe:

Hello all, 

My first post here. I am in the process of getting getting an investment property Cleveland Area. I should note, I am in California and really don't know anything about Cleveland area.  Now, I have a my first trip to Cleveland planned in two weeks to meet with an agent and have them show me around the area and show some properties.  I won't have much time while I am there so I want to make sure I personally see the areas that would be appropriate for what I am looking for. 

I am interested in property in C+ to B area that is around 1) SFH for around $80K range 2) Multi Family House in $120K range. I am not looking for fixers and hopefully properties that will require minimal rent ready prep.

So Cleveland experts here, any particular area is a must see area for my first trip? I've been reading that West Side is better than east side and also heard Old Brooklyn area is good. 

Any susggestions would be

Better is a relative term. There are various levels of risk. Does better to you mean less or more risky? Check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods to get an understanding of the risk levels associated with each neighborhood and tour the ones that fit your criteria and risk tolerance.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cory WallacePro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Norfolk, VA 路 Member since 2020 路 53 posts 路 38 votes
    6y

    @Michael Choe I am from the Cleveland area and there are decent areas on both the west and east side. You also have suburbs like Euclid, South Euclid, Garfield Heights and the Waterloo district is going through gentrification. Hope this helps.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 4k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Choe:

    Hello all, 

    My first post here. I am in the process of getting getting an investment property Cleveland Area. I should note, I am in California and really don't know anything about Cleveland area.  Now, I have a my first trip to Cleveland planned in two weeks to meet with an agent and have them show me around the area and show some properties.  I won't have much time while I am there so I want to make sure I personally see the areas that would be appropriate for what I am looking for. 

    I am interested in property in C+ to B area that is around 1) SFH for around $80K range 2) Multi Family House in $120K range. I am not looking for fixers and hopefully properties that will require minimal rent ready prep.

    So Cleveland experts here, any particular area is a must see area for my first trip? I've been reading that West Side is better than east side and also heard Old Brooklyn area is good. 

    Any susggestions would be

     I would suggest sticking to the Eastside. Inventory is higher and so is opportunity. Look at places like Euclid, South Euclid, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, University Heights, Bedford, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, Warrensville Heights, Wickliffe, Eastlake, Willowick, and Mentor. 

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Michael Choe:

    Hello all, 

    My first post here. I am in the process of getting getting an investment property Cleveland Area. I should note, I am in California and really don't know anything about Cleveland area.  Now, I have a my first trip to Cleveland planned in two weeks to meet with an agent and have them show me around the area and show some properties.  I won't have much time while I am there so I want to make sure I personally see the areas that would be appropriate for what I am looking for. 

    I am interested in property in C+ to B area that is around 1) SFH for around $80K range 2) Multi Family House in $120K range. I am not looking for fixers and hopefully properties that will require minimal rent ready prep.

    So Cleveland experts here, any particular area is a must see area for my first trip? I've been reading that West Side is better than east side and also heard Old Brooklyn area is good. 

    Any susggestions would be

    Better is a relative term. There are various levels of risk. Does better to you mean less or more risky? Check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods to get an understanding of the risk levels associated with each neighborhood and tour the ones that fit your criteria and risk tolerance.

  • Investor 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 25 posts 路 29 votes
    6y

    I recently moved to Cleveland from California so be prepared for the condition of the houses to be a little worse than you would expect. It was a bit of a shock when I first toured some solid but dated C/B class houses. 

    SFH for $80k turnkey will be Euclid, South Euclid, Cleveland Heights, Garfield Heights and Old Brooklyn.

    Be sure to check out Ohio City, Tremont, and East Bank Flats when you are here.You will probably see the rough areas while driving around so it is nice to see the really cool development going on too.

  • CA 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    6y


    @James Wise

    Thank you for the information. The maps are very helpful.

    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Michael Choe:

    Hello all, 

    My first post here. I am in the process of getting getting an investment property Cleveland Area. I should note, I am in California and really don't know anything about Cleveland area.  Now, I have a my first trip to Cleveland planned in two weeks to meet with an agent and have them show me around the area and show some properties.  I won't have much time while I am there so I want to make sure I personally see the areas that would be appropriate for what I am looking for. 

    I am interested in property in C+ to B area that is around 1) SFH for around $80K range 2) Multi Family House in $120K range. I am not looking for fixers and hopefully properties that will require minimal rent ready prep.

    So Cleveland experts here, any particular area is a must see area for my first trip? I've been reading that West Side is better than east side and also heard Old Brooklyn area is good. 

    Any susggestions would be

    Better is a relative term. There are various levels of risk. Does better to you mean less or more risky? Check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods to get an understanding of the risk levels associated with each neighborhood and tour the ones that fit your criteria and risk tolerance.

  • CA 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    6y


    @Tom Ott Thank you for the suggestion. It looks like maybe Eastside has more lower grade areas. Is that why you suggest Eastside because you can get more for your money? I did read that Eastside ususally has higher tax and also Point of Sale issue so it was not preferable. Wouldn't higher tax and Point of Sale fixes cost also bite into better price of Eastside? Again, I am new to Cleveland and may not know what I am saying here.


    Originally posted by @Tom Ott:
    Originally posted by @Michael Choe:

    Hello all, 

    My first post here. I am in the process of getting getting an investment property Cleveland Area. I should note, I am in California and really don't know anything about Cleveland area.  Now, I have a my first trip to Cleveland planned in two weeks to meet with an agent and have them show me around the area and show some properties.  I won't have much time while I am there so I want to make sure I personally see the areas that would be appropriate for what I am looking for. 

    I am interested in property in C+ to B area that is around 1) SFH for around $80K range 2) Multi Family House in $120K range. I am not looking for fixers and hopefully properties that will require minimal rent ready prep.

    So Cleveland experts here, any particular area is a must see area for my first trip? I've been reading that West Side is better than east side and also heard Old Brooklyn area is good. 

    Any susggestions would be

     I would suggest sticking to the Eastside. Inventory is higher and so is opportunity. Look at places like Euclid, South Euclid, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, University Heights, Bedford, Garfield Heights, Maple Heights, Warrensville Heights, Wickliffe, Eastlake, Willowick, and Mentor. 

  • James MaraditsPro Member
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2015 路 239 posts 路 224 votes
    6y

    I prefer the West side to avoid POS and rental registration hassles. 44111,44135,44109 all should have inventory that fits the criteria you've laid out. It is a bit more competitive (most good deals on the MLS on the West side will get multiple offers and sell for asking price or beyond very quickly) but there is still opportunity there.

    East side is okay if you're prepared to deal with POS, paying $200+ rental registration fees and the costs of associated repairs, so on and so forth.  Keep in mind that property managers are going to charge service fees to handle this paperwork and be present at inspections on top of their normal placement fees and monthly fees.

  • Realtor 路 Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Michael Choe    Please message me BEFORE you go to Cleveland. I have rentals there and have dealt with three different PMs so I can perhaps be a resource as to who to avoid. I also know some investor friendly agents there as well. 

  • CA 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    6y
    @James Maradits: Thanks for the information. In looking at homes available in zillow it looks like homes are bit more expensive than the comparable East side. As you stated POS and rental registration hassles (and it looks like tax rate as well) makes East side less desirable and price seems to reflect that as I can see.

    Originally posted by @James Maradits:

    I prefer the West side to avoid POS and rental registration hassles. 44111,44135,44109 all should have inventory that fits the criteria you've laid out. It is a bit more competitive (most good deals on the MLS on the West side will get multiple offers and sell for asking price or beyond very quickly) but there is still opportunity there.

    East side is okay if you're prepared to deal with POS, paying $200+ rental registration fees and the costs of associated repairs, so on and so forth.  Keep in mind that property managers are going to charge service fees to handle this paperwork and be present at inspections on top of their normal placement fees and monthly fees.

  • Investor 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 118 posts 路 147 votes
    6y

    @Michael Choe - I've been investing in Cleveland for the past 3.5 years. I live in Boston and understand the out of state model (either my partner or I are on the ground in Cleveland every month). With that the majority of our portfolio is on the west side (Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, Edgewater) with some other positions in Newburgh Heights and Slovic Village. 

    We invest in several other states and I like our Cleveland portfolio the best (a function of loving to visit, the actual returns, and I feel the city has real momentum behind it now). 

  • Investor 路 San Francisco Bay Area 路 Member since 2019 路 119 posts 路 79 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

    @Michael Choe    Please message me BEFORE you go to Cleveland. I have rentals there and have dealt with three different PMs so I can perhaps be a resource as to who to avoid. I also know some investor friendly agents there as well. 

    Brian - do share 馃憤馃徑馃憤馃徑

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.