Newbie interested in Buy and Hold

Newbie interested in Buy and Hold

Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello Oklahoma City Investors! 

I recently came across this podcast a few months ago, and have been listening to the podcast and some of the audio books recommended and feel that if I do not reach out to others in the game soon I will doubt this avenue of cash flow and will never create that "first deal." 

I am looking to meet some like minded individuals in the OKC area that can lend their knowledge and guidance on attaining my first rental property in the local area. 

I currently live and work full time in the OKC area and have seen first hand some revitalization of certain areas, but did not know where to begin this journey so here I am trying to learn about the industry and create positive cash flow properties. 

Is their anyone that would be interested in speaking with me either through PM or directly (lunch, a beer, etc) and fielding some of my basic questions on how to look/spot value properties in our area, financing through certain lenders in our area, and generally acting as a mentor/intern to someone eager to learn?

A little bit about me: First in my family to graduate college and only receive negativity from friends and family about this avenue of income. (hence why I am trying to find positive like minded individuals) I am 32 years young, work full time 8-5 as an local gov't revenue auditor. Have a BA in mathematics and Masters in Accounting. Currently splitting my time between studying for the CPA exams and learning about real estate investment. 

I am willing to listen, if you are ready to speak! 

Sincerely, 

Johnathan

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Roland S.Pro Member
Investor · Bethany, OK · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 23 votes
10y

Johnathan,

Welcome to BiggerPockets. 

First off, set up "Keyword Alerts" on your BiggerPockets dashboard.  This will alert you when someone mentions a "meeting" or get together for lunch or coffee in "Oklahoma City", etc.

You can add your keywords on this page: .

Click on the link below to determine what meetups will be occurring in OKC in the next several months.

http://www.meetup.com/find/events/?allMeetups=fals...

The websites below are two of the larger groups that have a meeting once a month.

https://www.okcreia.com/Calendar.aspx

http://millionairepossibilities.com/

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roland S.Pro Member
    Investor · Bethany, OK · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    Johnathan,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets. 

    First off, set up "Keyword Alerts" on your BiggerPockets dashboard.  This will alert you when someone mentions a "meeting" or get together for lunch or coffee in "Oklahoma City", etc.

    You can add your keywords on this page: .

    Click on the link below to determine what meetups will be occurring in OKC in the next several months.

    http://www.meetup.com/find/events/?allMeetups=fals...

    The websites below are two of the larger groups that have a meeting once a month.

    https://www.okcreia.com/Calendar.aspx

    http://millionairepossibilities.com/

    Good luck!

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    10y

    @Johnathan Goldsberry - welcome from a fellow OKC investor. Shoot me a message if you like and we can chat.

  • Rhett TullisBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 617 votes
    10y

    come meet up for lunch next week with us all.  its a good start.

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2010 · 279 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Johnathan!

    As Roland said, I recommend you join the local Real Estate Investors Association (REIA) & free Meetups to be around like-minded individuals.

    In Oklahoma City, we are a tight group of investors and colleagues. Many of us become close friends and like a family!

    What I have seen over the years, since 2006, is that we can tell the success level of new investors by how often they show up. It's amazing what it will do for your motivation and momentum when around your peers.

    For real estate investors in Oklahoma City, we have:

    1st Wednesday of every month "Coffee with Real Estate Investors" www.coffeewithrealestateinvestors.com

    1st Thursday of every month Millionaire Possabilities MPREIA www.meetup.com/MPREIA

    3rd Wednesday of every month Landlord Meetup www.meetup.com/Landlord-Oklahoma-City-Real-Estate-Investing-Meetup

    3rd Saturday of every month Real Estate Wholesalers Breakfast www.meetup.com/Real-Estate-Wholesaler-Breakfast

    4th Tuesday of every month OKC Real Estate Wholesalers Network www.meetup.com/Real-Estate-Wholesalers-Network

    For entrepreneurship & business in Oklahoma City, we have:

    Every Wednesday morning 1 Million Cups OKCwww.1millioncups.com/okc

    2nd Wednesday of every month "Coffee with Entrepreneurs" www.okceg.com/pages/Coffee_with_Entrepreneurs

    4th Thursday of every month OKC Entrepreneur Group www.OKCEntrepreneurGroup.com

    Misc

    Multiple times per month"The Meeting After The Meeting" - Dinner with Entrepreneurs & Real Estate Investors www.meetingafterthemeeting.com

    I am a local real estate mentor and business coach so if you ever need guidance and accountability I might be a resource to you. I am always open for a cup of coffee!

    No matter what you do, you MUST plug in to all the local resources and build relationships! It will be invaluable to your real estate success.

    Enjoy the day,

    Ron Harris

    The Renascent Entrepreneur

  • edmond, OK · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    • Welcome John,

    I am in the same shoes as you, so if you need someone to bounce things off of PM me. I am 35 got an MBA in finance, starting a buy and hold investment business using the BRRRR method. Did you find a good lender or investment realtor yet? That is where I am in the process.

    Jason 

  • Investor · Yukon, OK · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Fellow rookie here checking in. @Ron Harris thanks for the great list. My current full-time job prevents me from making many of these functions but Wednesday's are actually pretty flexible for me. 

  • Realtor · Norman, OK · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Hi John!

    Fellow Newbie here in Norman looking to get started in Buy and Hold as well. @Ron Harris I second Barrett in saying thank you for the amazing list of meetups, I look forward to attending the ones that my school schedule permits and look forward to learning a ton!

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2010 · 279 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    Always open for coffee and let you pick my brain for a hour. My mantra is to share "why real estate" to get everyone ready before the bubble pops. It's coming! @Michael Clayborne @Barrett Determan @Account Closed

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.