Multi's vs Single Family market in Philadelphia

Multi's vs Single Family market in Philadelphia

Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 17 votes

As an agent that sells primarily single family rehab project in Philly, and spends my time analyzing numbers on returns for flips and rental projects in areas that will return the most favorably. 

I come across countless numbers of investors that are looking "only" for multi families, yet multi-family deals seem to be the most complicated to bring to a closing table. 

The city's "master plan" of zoning being implemented and moving almost all properties into a single family RSA-5 or RSA-3 category, seems to complicate things a bit. 

Scenarios

1.Outdated shell on a block of all mutli's, but the neighborhood has since been re-zoned to single family. This leaves an investor with the choice to take the property as a single family, and possibly fight a battle to get a variance for a duplex approved, which would vary by difficulty typically by neighborhood. Also neighborhood's typically seem more willing to allow a more part time mom and pop investors to get what they want, as opposed to a clear cut "big developer".    

Perfect example: 

My team recently sold an outdated quadplex in West Philly, zoned as RSA-3 (residential design: Duplex). The structure had 4 units, but only 2 in livable condition and occupied. The owner had an expired rental license for 2-4 units. 

:The debate was if you applied for permits to rehab the structure for 4 finished units, the city potentially could force you to add fire sprinklers which are held to very strict standards and higher costs. 

My question is this:

What are some successful multi- buys out there anyone has had experience with?

Duplexes seem to be the most common success, I'm more interested in someone that has pulled off a 3 or more units in areas zoned over to single family. 

Any input appreciated!

4Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 4 votes
8y

I would like to know this well. Joseph, do you do flips as well?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    I would like to know this well. Joseph, do you do flips as well?

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 316 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    I will add, me too.  LOL

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Justin Lee I primarily sell single family rehabs, which from time to time fall under excellent multi family opportunities, but unfortunately aren't zoned for it. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    I've been trying to buy a multi family in philly for over 6 months now. Its hard. On one property I even had the highest offer but still didnt get it.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:

    I've been trying to buy a multi family in philly for over 6 months now. Its hard. On one property I even had the highest offer but still didnt get it.

     Which zipcodes were to trying to buy?

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    @Lana Lee 27 and 28

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.