Skip to content
Philadelphia Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
Recs on cheap/efficient updates for my new rental! You design it!

Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Posted Sep 29 2018, 17:02

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm about to close on my "grandma's house " as I call it (3 bed, 1.5 bath south philly row home). I picked this up, off market; it's next door to my recent rental I just finished (). Happened to be a 'right place, at the right time' sort of deal, so very thankful for Karma and all things considered.

ANYWAY, I thought it may be interesting/fun to get YOUR opinion/recs for rehabbing this place. The goal is to put <$15K (interior only) into it (this includes hiring out/labor). I'm handling the exterior, more to come on that later, but I wanted YOUR feedback.

Interior hasn't been updated in years (grandma's house.. literally). I'm looking for low-buck (but worth the value/labor) to rehab, clean up, and rent out quickly. Ideally rehab in <30 days. WINDOWS are good, so don't worry about that, electrical or plumbing. **JUST focus on the cosmetics. Target rental price is $1200-1400.

My thoughts:

--Re-paint whole house neutral colors. Some of the wood paneling I was thinking of just painting white (e.g. in bathroom/kitchen).

--Kitchen: paint cabinets; New Laminate? countertop; new SS appliance package, add recessed lights with new ceiling tiles, install new SS hardware/knobs on the cabinets. LEAVE current kitchen configuration/setup. Flooring would be a light gray LVP (waterproof)

--Flooring: there MIGHT be hardwood floors that can be saved. If so those will be sanded/refinished. If not.. install laminate the whole house, with waterproof LVP in kitchen/bath

--Bath: Paint vanity and all wood paneling bright white, put on new countertop. ?Demo some wall tile and new sheet rock. There IS a separate TUB and SHOWER stall as you see in the pix. Shower stall... pull plastic and tile?? Match tile from Shower with that of tub? And then spray tub bright white

--Bedrooms: 52" ceiling fan with bright lights for each bedroom

--Closet organizers (or add closet doors where missing) to current closets in place

I had trouble uploading images to this post, so you can see pictures by going here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sachv33pq1q1evh/AADOot7MmEkTkYsCm-k5XLP-a?dl=0