Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 169 votes
7y
@Susan Shen, this is a tough question with no single right answer, however I will say catering to section 8 is a totally different ballgame when compared to renting to non-section 8 tenants. Also, SFR is different than multi-family in terms of the way it's managed and the overall expense structure.
For section 8, you should understand that there are additional regulations and things to consider such as how you get paid and the types of challenges you need to be prepared to deal with. I have heard horror stories of section 8 tenants, and I've also heard of instances where things could not have been more ideal.
Personally I choose to stay away from section 8 because I do not understand that business model, and it's not the niche I want to be in. If it's something that you really want to pursue, I would highly recommend shadowing someone who has experience w/section 8 to understand what you might be signing up for before you make your own purchase.