Philadelphia research - long distance investing

Philadelphia research - long distance investing

Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes

Hi BP!

I am starting my research of the Philadelphia area. I am interested in doing the BRRR strategy for small multi-family properties or single family homes. I am from NYC and not familiar with the area so would appreciate any insight on what neighborhoods you would recommend I look into.

Planning a trip to Philadelphia as well to get to know the area myself, so it would be great if I could narrow my search!

Thank you,

Maricruz

1Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 151 posts · 71 votes
7y

Hi @Maricruz Romero It depends a lot on your goals, whether you are looking for more cash flow or an up-and-coming neighborhood with greater appreciation potential. There are neighborhoods with good cash flow in parts of West Philly, Southwest Philly, Kensington, Germantown. There are student rental opportunities as well around Temple, Penn, Drexel, St Joes. And there are definitely plenty of homes in need of rehab throughout all parts of the city, so you can implement the BRRR strategy in many different areas.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @Maricruz Romero

    i live in philadelphia so i feel like i have some insider knowledge on the area. i would say to stay away from kensington if you want a quality tenant. anything north of temple university is rougher neighborhoods.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 151 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    Hi @Maricruz Romero It depends a lot on your goals, whether you are looking for more cash flow or an up-and-coming neighborhood with greater appreciation potential. There are neighborhoods with good cash flow in parts of West Philly, Southwest Philly, Kensington, Germantown. There are student rental opportunities as well around Temple, Penn, Drexel, St Joes. And there are definitely plenty of homes in need of rehab throughout all parts of the city, so you can implement the BRRR strategy in many different areas.

  • Newtown, PA · Member since 2018 · 172 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    Hey, i'm an agent/investor in the area.  I agree with what the others said- for cashflow, look into parts of germantown, frankford and kensington.  I own two duplexes in Kensington, and I honestly haven't had many problems with tenants at all.  The student rental areas are good, but are getting pretty pricey now.  Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to help.  

  • Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Michael Campbell thank you! I will look into researching those areas. I am interested in cash flow as I would be doing buy and hold rental properties. I've heard that neighborhoods in Philadelphia vary block by block, would you say that is true in the your experience? If so, how would you say is the best way to get to know an area well?

  • Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Brendan Markle thank you I appreciate your insight. Do you have any advice on how to research a neighborhood to know where you would have a higher chance of getting better quality tenants or what part of a neighborhood you should specifically focus on? Thanks!

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 232 posts · 348 votes
    7y

    @Maricruz Romero 

    Philly can be block by block. That being said, there is alot of autocorrelation between areas, that is areas of similar rank tend to cluster together. 

    The general rule is that higher ranking areas will attract a lower risk tenant profile.

    So if you are looking for higher quality tenants, I would focus on B areas.  

    To help with your research I have included a link to a map showing the risk scores for various blocks in Philly.  

    Map Link

    Hope this helps! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    7y

    I think that map image is a fairly accurate assessment of the various areas. But still have to go block by block in some of those areas.

  • Attorney · NYC · Member since 2019 · 33 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Maricruz Romero Thank you for starting this topic as I am in the same position and category as you. I will be going down to Philly in a few weeks to check it out. I have a friend living in the area so I hope that will help me.

    Have you tried NYC and found nothing or you decided to go straight out of the city because the work on the street is that it's expensive?

  • Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Art Perkitny thanks for the map! Yes that's what I've heard so I'm going to try to narrow my search as much as I can as well as contact agents / property managers in the area.

  • Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y
  • Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Efraim L.

    I'm glad it is also helping you with your research. I am interested in the BRRR strategy with a focus on cash flow and it is hard to find a property in NYC that would allow me to do this. I am also planning on visiting so that I have a better idea on what areas to look into and build a team.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Art Perkitny what app generates that map pls

  • Lender · Wildwood Crest, NJ · Member since 2017 · 317 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    @Maricruz Romero Philadelphia has a lot of opportunities out there it is my hometown where I grew up and I frequently visit there. Just do your due diligence before investing there is plenty of good neighborhoods are out there to turn a quick profit.

  • Joseph ScoreseBusiness Member
    Banker · Philadelphia · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 633 votes
    7y

    Hi @Maricruz Romero,

    How are you.

    Let me know if I can assist. We host real estate educational workshops monthly that could assist with direction.

    Regards Joe Scorese

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Maricruz Romero

    Not from PA just wanted to Thank you for posting this! I am also from NYC looking into PA and this post was very helpful in helping my research as well. 

  • Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Scorese when are the monthly workshops held? I am planning to visit soon so might be able to attend one.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Maricruz Romero

    If I were you, I would look to certain sections of Kensington. Some areas are still up and coming.

    You could also check out Brewerytown.  

    Have you made a trip to Philadelphia yet? 

  • Architect · Philadelphia · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 26 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Art Perkitny:

    @Maricruz Romero 

    Philly can be block by block. That being said, there is alot of autocorrelation between areas, that is areas of similar rank tend to cluster together. 

    The general rule is that higher ranking areas will attract a lower risk tenant profile.

    So if you are looking for higher quality tenants, I would focus on B areas.  

    To help with your research I have included a link to a map showing the risk scores for various blocks in Philly.  

    Map Link

    Hope this helps! 

     Art,

    Would you mind sharing with me where you found that map? Thanks a lot!

    -Rob-

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.