Furnished vs Unfurnished Rentals

Furnished vs Unfurnished Rentals

Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes

Hey BP!

Curious if anyone has an opinion on furnished vs unfurnished rentals, specifically for students/international students. 

Right off the bat I can think of the cons being that it’s just more expensive as a landlord to supply furnishing for a rental. More stuff = more expenses. On the other hand though, I’m thinking that a premium can be charged due to the fact that “nothing” will need to be supplied by the tenant. 

I’m thinking this will be especially useful for international students who may not want to be purchasing a mattress and whatnot for the school year. 

Am I way off base with this? Is this a pitfall that should be avoided? Is it a strategy with more risk and more payoff?

Would love to get people’s thoughts and personal experiences on the matter. 
 

Many thanks!

0Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    6y

    students (minus most grad students) are much more of a liability and all around headache. I may offer a furnished  or even partially furnished unit to the 57+ tenants at no extra charge. my coin.

    kudos

    Mary

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Mary B. why no extra charge for the extra liability and headache? It is your coin after all. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Harry Brodsky:

    @Mary B. why no extra charge for the extra liability and headache? It is your coin after all. 

     no extra charge to the elders. extra charge to the college students, yes indeed. most

    college students are teenagers which are irresponsible. I'm not sure how old you are but 

    you must recall college life, particularly off campus living. 

    just a few concerns:  furnished units have to be covered on your insurance which will effect your premium.

    you gotta be mindful of damages to the furniture in addition to the rest of the place. not everyone will have

    sticky fingers but be prepared for the occasional theft during transition at the student occupied units. 

    the bedbug epidemic comes into play particular with the more traffic. again, its my coin. feel free to disagree.

    kudos,

    Mary

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Ah okay @Mary B. I understand. I misunderstood your original comment regarding “57+”. What you’re saying definitely makes sense. Thank  you for the response!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.