Best markets to BRRRR in Pittsburgh?

Best markets to BRRRR in Pittsburgh?

Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 150 posts · 50 votes

This is a post which could turn into an argument...


... What are best markets to BRRRR in Pittsburgh?

I'd like everyone to weigh in to first, challenge our own opinions and second, to help out of state investors.

3Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Whitney Hutten I cant say. There are so many parameters. I own properties in the really bad areas and I own some properties in very exclusive neighborhoods. Do they want section 8? How much do they have to spend? Are they adverse to risk and what level of risk? There are probably 20 other parameters. That will all dictate where they can look. Are they adverse to lower income housing? Do they want a fixer upper? To keep it simple. In my opinion with 26 years of experience and thousands of transactions I would advise any new investor to focus on a good B or A area for your first investment. One thats more turn key. Carnegie, Crafton, Monroeville, Scott township, etc... Areas that the school district has a good rating. Not sure if this is helpful. Choose an area that is affordable for your budget and has a good school district and the property can be sold easily if the investment doesnt work out as planed. An easy exit strategy. Its important to minimize and manage risk in this business.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Clayton Hepler I hope it won't be an argument ;)  I'm eager to hear other's opinions and follow this thread!

  • Real Estate Professional · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    I am waiting to see what shakes out with coronavirus when it comes to the housing market. There are to many balls up in the air right now. Gonna wait till august.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Clayton Hepler @Mike Calabrese@Whitney Hutten all areas are good to invest. It depends on so may variables. I know some investors who own hundreds of crappy section 8 houses. They love it and do quite well. I hate it and would never build my portfolio that way. I also know some investors who own hundreds of super high quality properties in great A areas.  The challenge with this type of investing is that its super expensive and you need a boat load of capital. There is no right answer. It depends on your current capital position, your experience level, your appetite for A, B C and D Areas and multiple other factors. There is no right answer. Stay focused , start slow and be a learning based real estate investor. You can never know enough and you will never know it all.

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Alex Deacon I think the OP was searching for specific areas to buy in Pitts for a BRRRR. Would you have specific direction?

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Whitney Hutten I cant say. There are so many parameters. I own properties in the really bad areas and I own some properties in very exclusive neighborhoods. Do they want section 8? How much do they have to spend? Are they adverse to risk and what level of risk? There are probably 20 other parameters. That will all dictate where they can look. Are they adverse to lower income housing? Do they want a fixer upper? To keep it simple. In my opinion with 26 years of experience and thousands of transactions I would advise any new investor to focus on a good B or A area for your first investment. One thats more turn key. Carnegie, Crafton, Monroeville, Scott township, etc... Areas that the school district has a good rating. Not sure if this is helpful. Choose an area that is affordable for your budget and has a good school district and the property can be sold easily if the investment doesnt work out as planed. An easy exit strategy. Its important to minimize and manage risk in this business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.