ISO A Tax person in Charleston area

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 12 votes
9y

Buddy, reach out to Michael Hale at Taxes Are Hale / Hale Tax Solutions   http://taxesarehale.com/about-us/

Most tax people are "HISTORIANS" - they look at LAST years results
and tell you what you did!

Michael & Erin work with many investors; they have spoken at investor groups; 
are former IRS employees; are very creative....and most importantly, will teach
you how to plan and prepare BEFORE your investing business makes a mistake.

Good luck with your group.

If I can help in anyway, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I appreciate you,

Bobby Wallace
Charleston, SC 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Eric Smathers, I too am looking for a TAX/CPA who is up to speed in REI clients.

    In a google search I found a Christopher Moss and Benjamin Scott both in MtP. Again I have not used either but both seem to say they are knowledgeable in REI. I would appreciate feed back if you try them or anyother. Cheers, Buddy

  • Ladson, SC · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    thanks. 

  • North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I am looking for this as well. Since we're just getting started in our REI journey, I'd like to get started on the right foot tax-wise. I'd like to work with someone who has the heart of a teacher and doesn't just tell me what to do.

  • Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Kara R., I have been doing my own taxes to date and doing REI returns since 1998. I can give you some when we have our get-together or by email.

    My last 1031 exchange got tricky with Turbo Tax. I spent an hour with a CPA out in Goose Creek to get an understanding of how it was supposed to be done.  But It seemed that although he knew the rules he really depended on his version of some software to do the specific math.  Since I am an engineer and a math nerd, I like to understand the rules, do the math first and then check that Turbo Tax is doing what I think it should be doing.

    We need to get @Mark Mattison going on setting our next meet-up.

    Cheers, Buddy

  • Real Estate Consultant · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Buddy, reach out to Michael Hale at Taxes Are Hale / Hale Tax Solutions   http://taxesarehale.com/about-us/

    Most tax people are "HISTORIANS" - they look at LAST years results
    and tell you what you did!

    Michael & Erin work with many investors; they have spoken at investor groups; 
    are former IRS employees; are very creative....and most importantly, will teach
    you how to plan and prepare BEFORE your investing business makes a mistake.

    Good luck with your group.

    If I can help in anyway, please don't hesitate to let me know.

    I appreciate you,

    Bobby Wallace
    Charleston, SC 

  • Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Kara R., I have been doing my own taxes to date and doing REI returns since 1998. I can give you some when we have our get-together or by email.

    My last 1031 exchange got tricky with Turbo Tax. I spent an hour with a CPA out in Goose Creek to get an understanding of how it was supposed to be done.  But It seemed that although he knew the rules he really depended on his version of some software to do the specific math.  Since I am an engineer and a math nerd, I like to understand the rules, do the math first and then check that Turbo Tax is doing what I think it should be doing.

    We need to get @Mark Mattison going on setting our next meet-up.

    Cheers, Buddy

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2014 · 722 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Eric Smathers Chris O'Neal of Moody & O'Neal CPAs in Mt. Pleasant.  They are a commercial real estate tax firm and have been assisting me as long as I have been in the business.

  • Ladson, SC · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone!

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    A little late to this party but I met with Scott who owns swamp fox cpa Wednesday in summerville off trolley and really liked him. He does a free 1 hour consult to get to know you in order to tell you if he thinks you are a good fit for each other. U can find him if u google swamp fox cpa
  • Wholesaler · Charleston, SC · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Kimy Sexton from http://briaraccounting.com has been doing tax for many investor and contractors, 1031 exchange... Her office is in Mt Pleasant.

  • Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Bobby Wallace,   Wow got your Hog in the House! Cool! Please plan to joing us on the 16th of October.

    Hope to meet your there! Cheers,

    Buddy

  • Tradd BastianPro Member
    Realtor · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Buddy, where is the next meeting and at what time? I've missed the last few and I'm ready to get back in the grove.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.