Local Memphis Investors: Need advice on 38128......

Local Memphis Investors: Need advice on 38128......

Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 549 posts · 286 votes

I'm local in Memphis but have not bought any buy and holds in 38128.  Trying to get an idea of what areas I should stay away from.  I have been told to stay east of Austin Peay HWY.  Anyone have any feedback about the area west of here specifically between New Allen and Raliegh-Millington Rd and south of Egypt Central Rd?

Thanks

1Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Curt DavisBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

New Allen rd area is tough and not really an area I would consider holding.  Same for Ral Mill rd area. Ideally stay to the east of Ral Mill rd.  There are some decent areas between that and Austin Peay. 

Good luck

Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    New Allen rd area is tough and not really an area I would consider holding.  Same for Ral Mill rd area. Ideally stay to the east of Ral Mill rd.  There are some decent areas between that and Austin Peay. 

    Good luck

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 549 posts · 286 votes
    8y

    @Curt Davis  thanks for the feedback.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Jason Hopkins I've also heard to stay east of Austin Peay HWY, however I'm still pretty new to all of this and @Curt Davis sounds like he knows this area road by road.

    I live in Millington and drive on/through Austin Peay every day omw to work, but I've only ever been to a few of the neighborhoods east of Austin Peay.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 549 posts · 286 votes
    8y

    @Stephen Blalock Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to go to the properties over the next few days to get a feel for the area.

  • Douglas SkipworthBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason Hopkins,

    For what it's worth, I've got some friends who recently bought an owner occupant house in 38128 for $124k just east of Austin Peay and Coleman.  He's a Shelby Co. School teacher, she's a translator at St. Jude, and their kids go to Grahamwood Elementary.  They say it's a great neighborhood for their family.

    Investor's Guide to Memphis Real Estate
    View Page
  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    8y

    I know I am late to the party but I own several SFRs in Raliegh and LOVE them. I try not to buy anything west of Austin Pea as it gets rougher the further west you get. There are plenty of good spots in 38128. Scenic Hills is west of Austin Pea but great little area!

  • Real Estate Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thanks for everyone's posts. This is very helpful.

    What about in 38128 in the area south of 40-- when Austin Peay becomes changes to Jackson Ave.? In general, would the guideline of staying east of Jackson apply? Or do the neighborhood dynamics change?

    Thanks,

    Pat

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.