Estimating Rehab Costs by the sq ft ASAP

Estimating Rehab Costs by the sq ft ASAP

Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes

Hello everyone! Finally made it to Chatt about 3 weeks ago. I have a lady that is willing to take an offer on her house and I am working on getting a ballpark number for repairs to submit my offer. 

Does anyone know the rough $/sqft amount for 3 types of rehabs? Light rehab, Heavy rehab, Full gut. I know this can fluctuate per area and do not want to use what it costs back in AZ. Any help is appreciated! 

Here is some information about the property if anyone can give a specific example for $/sq ft. 

1948  2bd 1ba 1152 sqft house. Is on the edge of flood zone. Needs new roof, siding either repaired or replaced, new electrical. A/C unit is old but working. Ducting cleaned out and repaired a couple years back. The inside of the house is actually nicely updated with new plumbing, floors, and bath updated due to plumbing leak a couple years ago. Inside needs a couple minor repairs and paint. Most repairs are external. 


Thanks guys!

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
5y

I'd say it's easier to consider the specific tasks you want done, it sounds like new roof, siding, and electrical?  Based on the quotes I've seen, a new roof is $6,500-8,000 depending on how bad it is (if sheathing needs to be replaced, etc), and to run all new electrical can run $3-10k (huge range, I know, that's the highest and lowest I've seen).  I don't have enough experience with quotes on siding to weigh in on that.  

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    $55/sq ft for rehab
    $120/sq ft for NC
    Additions $80/sq ft

    Let me know if you need handyman referral. 

    I spent my college years remodeling bathrooms and framing houses in Dalton.

    I can ask around to see who has the capacity to work on your project. 

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Dakota McIntire thanks man!

    Is $55/soft for this deal I posted, or what type of rehab? Light, heavy, gut? Thanks again

  • Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Cody Gagnon What dollar amount do you define as light, medium, and heavy?



  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Dakota McIntire I’m trying to figure out the ballpark price for rehabbing this house.

    The parameters for getting a ballpark figure are usally light, heavy, or full gut rehab. Light would be just some flooring and paint. Heavy would be floors paint, fixtures, kitchen, bath, cabinets, etc.

    full gut would be everything from the studs electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc…

    So light rehab (theoretically) could average $15-$20/sqft. Heavy $30-$40/sqft. Full gut $50-$60/sqft.

    This range can change of course based on the city or part of the country.

    My question is, in the Chattanooga area, what would you say the average range is with these parameters? A contractor could usually tell you about how much per square foot the rehab would be. But they are too busy to come look at properties and answer questions like this lol

    I’d say this property falls in the heavy catagory due to the exterior work it needs. The interior is really not bad.

    I hope this helps. Thanks for your help and the potential referrals!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green

    @Matthew Gill

    @Brian Leverage

    Any thoughts on this? Thanks

  • Contractor · Spencer, TN · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    I do construction and I don’t normally bid jobs that way but give rough numbers based upon what you’re wanting done. If you wannabe message me I can give some rough numbers 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    5y

    I'd say it's easier to consider the specific tasks you want done, it sounds like new roof, siding, and electrical?  Based on the quotes I've seen, a new roof is $6,500-8,000 depending on how bad it is (if sheathing needs to be replaced, etc), and to run all new electrical can run $3-10k (huge range, I know, that's the highest and lowest I've seen).  I don't have enough experience with quotes on siding to weigh in on that.  

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Adrienne Green thank you!! Yes most of the repairs are external. I’ll see if I can get a rough idea for siding by continuing to talk to people.

    P.s. I’ve been meaning to get on your calendar so I can give you my criteria for property search. Will do eventually. Thanks for the input!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dakota McIntire:

    $55/sq ft for rehab
    $120/sq ft for NC
    Additions $80/sq ft

    Let me know if you need handyman referral. 

    A handyman can't legally do any of that work. Be a shame to start off on the the wrong foot and get caught...

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Cody Gagnon:

    1948  2bd 1ba 1152 sqft house. Is on the edge of flood zone. Needs new roof, siding either repaired or replaced, new electrical. A/C unit is old but working. 

    Roof - $8k (no carpentry)

    Siding - $9k

    Electrical - $10k

    New AC Condenser - $3k

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Bruce Woodruff thanks for the additional info!!

    Are you still in PHX or are you in Chatt now?

    I think I can put together some decent ballpark figures to at this get an off submitted with some wiggle room

  • Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    5y
    You're right on the assumption the handyman doesn't have a GC license.
    If he does not have license, is a quick project turnaround worth the risk of a fine and stop work order

    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Dakota McIntire:

    $55/sq ft for rehab
    $120/sq ft for NC
    Additions $80/sq ft

    Let me know if you need handyman referral. 

    A handyman can't legally do any of that work. Be a shame to start off on the the wrong foot and get caught...

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    5y

    My cosmetic rehabs generally include the following scope: floors, paint, new fixtures (electric/some plumbing), knobs/hinges, and cabinet refinishing+hardware.  We generally accomplish that for around $15/ft.  Though with inflation I would buffer that some.  

    Roofing replacement will run about $300/square though that doesn't include an allowance for decking replacement.

    On the electrical you'll probably need to either replace the panel or upgrade the breakers to arc-fault and then ground out the outlets.  That's probably about 2k.  Fyi wiring a house up (assuming studs are exposed) is around $7/ft plus the cost of light fixtures. 

    Replacement windows should run you around $400/opening, installed

    Vinyl siding for that should run about 3k or so.  Fyi if you have asbestos siding, leave it on and just go over it with the vinyl siding.  

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Brian Levredge thanks for this info!!

    I feel like I have a good idea what the cost of repairs will be now after hearing from you and a few people I talked to at the meetup at signal mountain today.

    Submitting an offer Monday!

    Hope to see you at the next meetup!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.