Up & coming, but affordable areas within the 610 loop?

Up & coming, but affordable areas within the 610 loop?

Investor/Agent · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a 3/2 buy & hold home in Houston.

Are my criteria below realistic? If so, which areas would you recommend?

Criteria

- Under $225k

- Within the 610 loop (or any other area with up and coming activity)

- Strong rent-to-value (1% rule if possible)

- Not impacted by flooding / no rough areas (B and above)

1Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Ryan Johnson I'm getting a lot of great deals right at 45 and 10 with some infill lots that people are starting to recognize as being 3 minutes to downtown and a lot of development spill over from the stadiums. Now there's still plenty of places in the 5th that I won't go to during the day, but people are starting to see some jewels in it

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    People think I'm crazy but I love the Fifth Ward right now...

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 174 posts · 100 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    People think I'm crazy but I love the Fifth Ward right now...

    What’s your rationale for loving 5th ward?

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan Johnson I'm getting a lot of great deals right at 45 and 10 with some infill lots that people are starting to recognize as being 3 minutes to downtown and a lot of development spill over from the stadiums. Now there's still plenty of places in the 5th that I won't go to during the day, but people are starting to see some jewels in it

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 174 posts · 100 votes
    7y

    Great deals on SF or MF? Are you flipping or holding?

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 174 posts · 100 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    @Ryan Johnson I'm getting a lot of great deals right at 45 and 10 with some infill lots that people are starting to recognize as being 3 minutes to downtown and a lot of development spill over from the stadiums. Now there's still plenty of places in the 5th that I won't go to during the day, but people are starting to see some jewels in it

    Also is 45 at I10 really still 5th ward? I  consider the 5th to be closer to and east of 59?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Jason, are EDO & Eastwood worth checking out? Better or worse than that area west of 5th Ward?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Northside - Hardy Yards near I-45 and I-10 is an up and coming area. You can find houses around $300k. Close to the Metro Rail that goes downtown. Where I’m at right there was not impacted by flooding

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Ryan Johnson 5th Ward goes a good mile south of 10. All buy and hold for me, 2-4 units mainly. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 174 posts · 100 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Yuan:

    @Jason, are EDO & Eastwood worth checking out? Better or worse than that area west of 5th Ward?

     Eado is def more up and coming than 5th ward in terms of overall development with the soccer stadium, numerous new bars and restaurants. 

  • Investor/Agent · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Jason Hirko and @Ryan Johnson I'm definitely open to places outside the loop. Are there places that still have strong upside potential, cash flow, and aren't in a rough area? 

    Top 2 criteria are areas (1) on an upward trajectory and (2) with decent economics.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    People think I'm crazy but I love the Fifth Ward right now...

    I hear ya. I paid $400k for a 32 unit in 5rh ward. Just apprised for 1.3m and put $1m of debt on it. 

    That type of deal can’t be found in the areas that have already popped. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I just bought (2 weeks ago) a 40 unit in eado ($1.4m). Another good value apot to buy. Likely more (sooner) upside than 5th ward. Mainly because current demo is Hispanic vs black (may sounds racist but it’s true. White hipsters are more likely to move into a predominantly Hispanic area va black area)

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    People think I'm crazy but I love the Fifth Ward right now...

    I hear ya. I paid $400k for a 32 unit in 5rh ward. Just apprised for 1.3m and put $1m of debt on it. 

    That type of deal can’t be found in the areas that have already popped. 

     Maybe we should be telling people how bad the 5th still is???!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:

    People think I'm crazy but I love the Fifth Ward right now...

    I hear ya. I paid $400k for a 32 unit in 5rh ward. Just apprised for 1.3m and put $1m of debt on it. 

    That type of deal can’t be found in the areas that have already popped. 

     Maybe we should be telling people how bad the 5th still is???!!!

     lol, I've just told it how it is -- or how it is IMO.  It's worked for me.  No reason to sandbag an area in hopes of bottom feeding.  As much as I think I buy, I'm the small minnow in a huge ocean.  So I can cheerlead or sandbag -- don't think I'll change the tide. 

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    7y

    @Sean Yuan EDO area is already too hot. I bought back in 2009 and 2010 for like $80k for duplexes and triplexes. Now these properties are valued over $300k. If you have the stomach and want to see both appreciation and good cashflow look at SunnySide area of town off Cullen and 610 before Belford. Lots of new construction over $180k that is selling. A builder worth looking at is Mayberry Homes. They get into areas that was considered war zones at the right time and have made great stride in selling. I recently bought three properties in that area and have done the BRRR method and have no money in any of those properties but cashflow over $400. Just thought I would share my thoughts with you. Best of Luck

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    7y

    @Cody L. You make a great point. I see EADO play as a safer beat for the same reasoning you have. Congrats on the two deals. I have seen a few of your properties and respect your work. Fellow CA in Houston. Cheers

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    7y

    @Armand Farr As Cody mentioned in one of his posts here.... find areas that are more Hispanic population and you can find good deals. If you look at the triangle between 45 and 59 in the Hardy Yard area can still get older homes for good price and good cashflow with good potential of appreciation. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.