Is this a worthy SFR purchase? Tenant occupied as well. Thoughts?

Is this a worthy SFR purchase? Tenant occupied as well. Thoughts?

Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone!
Long time listener...first time caller. First post here!

I

recently purchased my first rental in houston and am looking at another

one as well. I own my mothers house, have a rental down the road and

another 3/2 SFR with a tenant paying 1650 a month is up for sale for

200k asking.

Taxes are about 4400 lets say. Flood Insurance

700ish and Insurance is about 1000, HOA is about 400 a year. Lets say a

purchase at 208k with 20% down.

This would be my third property in a half mile range. I like this area near the woodlands, TX. Close to 45.

What

I am curious about is if this is an attractive spread for cash flow vs

other SFR around this area. Im expecting to receive about 3000k a year

(250 a month) on top of having a maintence fund of about 1500 a year.

Is

this a normal amount to receive, not worth the investment, better

opportunities in similar areas for cheaper or more income amounts?

Thought I would ask and thank you for your help as this is my first

post!

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Russellville, AR · Member since 2014 · 684 posts · 509 votes
    5y

    It doesn't meet MY goals.  You didnt say anything about financing other than the 20% down.  If I use generic numbers, I have this breaking even every month IF you manage it yourself.  If you think it will experience some great appreciation over the next few years, then it would be just ok.  I would avoid this one or try to get the price dropped about $30-40k.

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    5y

    @Chris Lockwood

    The location is great but I wouldn't buy it. If you have 20% down I would look at stuff under $160k. Also, something to consider, once you purchase the city will adjust your property taxes closer to your purchase price so take that under consideration when you crunch your numbers. 

    Congrats on building your portfolio

    Best of luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.