Moving to Plano Area, Looking for Multi-Family to House-Hack

Moving to Plano Area, Looking for Multi-Family to House-Hack

Plano, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,

I'm making a move from Houston to Dallas in a few months. Specifically I'll be working in Plano.

I'm looking to find a duplex to house-hack within a reasonable commuting distance (~30 minute drive). Based on a Zillow/Realtor.com search, there doesn't appear to be a ton of multi-family inventory on the market in that area. Thinking it'll be a big help to have a great Realtor on my team to help me find a good property. If anyone has any recommendations of realtors who know multi-family in North Dallas, it would be a big help.

Thanks everyone!

Trent Ford

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Frisco, TX · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 95 votes
9y

depending where in Plano you will be working at can seriously affect your search area. If you live in East Plano and work in the Legacy/HQ/Communications area - you will drive for 30 (on a good day) and more (depending on time of day/school zones etc).

We were 4 miles from husband's job in Plano and it took 20 minutes to get there. Moved to Frisco and now 8 miles away and it takes 15 minutes and we have 3 route variations we can use without the tollways. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Trent Ford   Do you have a price range in mind?    By the way, I am fairly certain you really do not mean North Dallas which is a very specific area.  You probably want to be more in the Collin County area.

  • Investor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Hey Trent - Unfortunately, I think you are correct. North Dallas, Collin County, and nearby does not have many 2-4 family opportunities in general, much less on the market.  

    There are a couple of areas near Skillman and 635 that have duplexes. As well as a couple of areas in Richardson I am aware of. However, they do not come on the market often and when they do they are priced high and go quickly. 

    Be careful of the area though. Skillman and 635 can be a rough part of town. Not the worst by any means, but probably not an area I'd recommend someone just moving to the area live in. 

    That said, I do not have a realtor contact for you for this type of deal. However, once you find a 2-4 family opportunity then you could contact that listing agent and ask to work with them. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 212 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    Trent I see you're an Aggie. I am as well.

    I have a friend/colleague that buys multi-family in the Dallas market and could see who she uses as a realtor for you.

    Do you need any real estate help in Houston before the move?  

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Trent Ford,

    I am going to attend a webinar this Thursday September 21, 2017 titled "Multifamily Investing" in the DFW area via meetup.com. There will be multiple real estate investors with multifamily properties in their portfolio. I could ask them for a realtor if you want to. Either way, this is the link for the meeting if you decide to drop by: https://applauncher.gotowebinar.com/#notStarted/5879114347680237569/en_US

  • Plano, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, Thanks for the heads up on the webinar! I'll check it out!

    Thank you again to everyone. Gotta love the BP community!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Trent,

    Check out Helen Curry. She's been a Plano realtor for two decades + and probably knows this area better than anyone I've ever worked with. I also grew up in Plano and can tell you that the market here is hotter than it's ever been. She will take great care of you.

    http://www.ebby.com/agents_offices/find_agent/info...

    Kind Regards,

    Richard Ewell

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 212 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    Trent,

    Just sent you my investor/realtor recommendation in my request to connect on BP.  Let me know if you don't get it. 

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hello Trent

    For a 30 minute drive you are looking at a radius of around 15-20miles, So the areas you are looking at are likely Richardson, Plano and surrounding area. 

    I live in Frisco and our Office is in Richardson, will be happy to assist you with the search.

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2017 · 201 posts · 95 votes
    9y

    depending where in Plano you will be working at can seriously affect your search area. If you live in East Plano and work in the Legacy/HQ/Communications area - you will drive for 30 (on a good day) and more (depending on time of day/school zones etc).

    We were 4 miles from husband's job in Plano and it took 20 minutes to get there. Moved to Frisco and now 8 miles away and it takes 15 minutes and we have 3 route variations we can use without the tollways. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    @Trent Ford    Did you ever find the right property?   Let me know if you still need help.  Welcome to the Metroplex.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.