Semi-Motivated Seller -- 1/2 Million Dollar Home

Semi-Motivated Seller -- 1/2 Million Dollar Home

Wylie, TX · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 11 votes

How do you convince a seller that their home is overpriced?

I've been on the phone with a lady who is out of state. She is also an Agent. She had posted an ad on for a home for rent, so I figured I'd give her a call and see if she's interested in selling. 

Right off the bat, she seemed surprised by my call. She began to talk about how her husband wants to be done with it. They have listed it, starting in 2013 at $770,000. A year and a half later, dropped the price 50k.  (720)

8 months later dropped the price another 20k (700), waited 6 months, then took it off the market.

Picked up where they left off a year and a half later (700) -- Waited 6 months, took it off the market. 

2 months later, raised the price 30k, and put it back on the market at 730k.

Took it back off market in February of this year.

I've seen the pictures. Its a beautiful  5 bedroom, 5 bath, corner lot, huge yard, almost like having land.  Close to Lake Lavon. Gorgeous Master-Planned Neighborhood

However, I am very familiar with Collin County taxes, and how they love to go UP. Last year the bill was 13k, I cant imgine it going down anytime soon.

Upon closer insection, I've found that the property has virtually no storage, or built-ins

small rooms for such a large home

awkward kitchen with  kind of a dated color scheme (green marble tile on top of wood counters, yikes!)

My daydream is to wholesale this property, the woman said she wants to get the house appraised, then go with something close to that.

last years tax values were 

Improvement568787
Land105210

also, if she cant sell it ( I have a strong feeling that the main reason is because its over-priced) then that means I have to get it cheap enough to be able to maybe do some light remodel in the kitchen, then turn it over for a profit...

Thoughts?

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

That does not sound motivated to me.

That whole deal as you describe it does not sound like a good wholesale property to me.

Sounds difficult to sell.   I think one trick today is that you see lots and lots of $750,000 homes for sale now.

Make it a weird $750,000 home and that makes it even tougher to sell.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Multifamily Lending · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    @Joshua Dees Also consider that the $10k cap on property tax deduction makes the property more expensive to hold, which I would be willing to pay less for than before cap.

  • Wylie, TX · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Mmmm, noted @James Evertson, thanks for the view!

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    That does not sound motivated to me.

    That whole deal as you describe it does not sound like a good wholesale property to me.

    Sounds difficult to sell.   I think one trick today is that you see lots and lots of $750,000 homes for sale now.

    Make it a weird $750,000 home and that makes it even tougher to sell.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    First off why are you basing the value on tax assessments? At best those are done once a year, and I’m not sure they’re that accurate. Look at comps. Second what part of this story leads you to believe they’re motivated? They’ve been trying to sell for 5 years and haven’t, which means they’re willing to wait. Maybe it is overpriced, who castes, obviously they think they can get whatever price they are looking for. So that all aside how are you going to convince a woman who’s waited for 5 years to sell to sell to you for likely 1-200k less than asking?
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    This house is in great shape, and doesn't appear to need anything except new counters and paint (that jungle mural might be great for a kid though).  

    I'd move on if I were you.  

    Except for counters what's wrong with this?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.