Taking a bite out of the DFW Market

Taking a bite out of the DFW Market

Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Hey Y'all,

My girlfriend and I moved to Dallas 4 months ago for some great career moves; she now owns a 7-Eleven franchise and I took a new job as a Financial Reporting Mgr at a public company. Now that I've learned a little about Dallas, I want to begin investing in real estate. I passively hold an investment property in Georgia, but want my investment activity in Dallas to be much more hands-on. 

I've spoken with a lender and have been pre-approved for up to $340K, with a stipulation that I put down 10% and get rid of property in Georgia. I assume they want me to get rid of the house to make the debt to income ratio work; I'm likely going to "sell" it to my dad.

My criteria: 

I want to buy and hold and I prefer a multi-family property (up to 4-plex) that we can occupy and rent; however, I know the DFW market it pretty tough at my price range. My desired area is North Oakcliff, which I also know is pretty tough at my price range. I am flexible to looking at SF that can cashflow.

What have been y'all's experience in the DFW market? Any tips you can give me on making my strategy work or modify it in a way that will work? 

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
8y

Finding a duplex in OC for your price range is much easier than you might think. My Dallas rentals are all in OC and I live and grew up in the area as well. OC is large, so in "gentryfied" OC, you're right around SFR range at $340k, but in other parts, (& safe) you'll be fine.

I would suggest, if you care, to consider a fixer. Almost all parts of OC is welcoming to that activity. I'd go the HML route, add the value, then refi out with your pre-approved status. You'll save a whole lot over buying retail. #my2 cents.

I suggest this, because I've done it. Reach out if you would like the resources, ( HML, rehab co, etc)

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Finding a duplex in OC for your price range is much easier than you might think. My Dallas rentals are all in OC and I live and grew up in the area as well. OC is large, so in "gentryfied" OC, you're right around SFR range at $340k, but in other parts, (& safe) you'll be fine.

    I would suggest, if you care, to consider a fixer. Almost all parts of OC is welcoming to that activity. I'd go the HML route, add the value, then refi out with your pre-approved status. You'll save a whole lot over buying retail. #my2 cents.

    I suggest this, because I've done it. Reach out if you would like the resources, ( HML, rehab co, etc)

  • Tyler HodgsonBusiness Member
    Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 192 votes
    8y

    You should be able to qualify for 3.5% down FHA or 3% down Conventional. Also if you rent our thd property in GA the rents should offset the monthly payment and no longer negatively affect your DTI

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks to you both for your insight. @Mylan J, if you could, please shoot me  over anything you think would be helpful. I hope I can repay the favor in the future. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 176 posts · 64 votes
    8y

    Basically, I agree with Mylan. You can find the deals with the specs you have put forth, especially with SFH, that tend move more slowly than lower price points. Cash flow gets to be tricky at price points over $200K, but it depends on your cash flow goals.

    I did a quick look on the MLS for 4 plexes under $340k. You can see the results below. There are even more two and three door MF. Let me know if you would like to know more information.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam Wright:

    Basically, I agree with Mylan. You can find the deals with the specs you have put forth, especially with SFH, that tend move more slowly than lower price points. Cash flow gets to be tricky at price points over $200K, but it depends on your cash flow goals.

    I did a quick look on the MLS for 4 plexes under $340k. You can see the results below. There are even more two and three door MF. Let me know if you would like to know more information.

     Thanks Adam. I'll be in touch soon. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.