WOW! DFW Real Estate Market 2020 vs. 2021

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

That's even more ridiculous than here. In Kansas City (Jackson County at least), we're only up a pathetic 17.3%...

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing this Rob! I discovered bigger pockets in 2020 and made it a goal to invest in Dallas in 2021, but I’ve been shocked by the prices. And, although rents are also high, they don’t seem to be increasing at the same rate.

  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kayla Davis:

    Thanks for sharing this Rob! I discovered bigger pockets in 2020 and made it a goal to invest in Dallas in 2021, but I’ve been shocked by the prices. And, although rents are also high, they don’t seem to be increasing at the same rate.
    Congrats on finding BP! You are correct about the rent prices. The 1% rule is almost non-existent in this market.

  • Real Estate Agent · Brooklyn & Queens · Member since 2020 · 49 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Kayla Davis what were your findings on cash on cash returns or the comparison of rents and purchase price?

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Hi Nicolas, I've been focusing on very specific neighborhoods. But for one of the neighborhoods, I'm seeing 3/2/2 homes being listed and selling for $250-$275k that in 2019/early 2020 would have sold for $175-$220k (on a good day). But the rents in this specific area are still around $1,600 to $1,800. Drastically different ROI. My plan was to BRRRR, but each wholesaler's ARV (based on current market) is just too high and the numbers aren't making sense to me.

    Now I’m considering pivoting my strategy and buying land to build from scratch. I know nothing about construction, but I have the good fortune of being able to partner with my Dad, whose been a commercial construction project manager for the last 20 years in Dallas. 

    I’d be curious to know what your seeing and whether you’ve seen it affect yours or other people’s strategy. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    That's even more ridiculous than here. In Kansas City (Jackson County at least), we're only up a pathetic 17.3%...

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Rob Lee

    Is 1% normally good enough to cash flow in DFW? I’m new at this. Barely starting to look at prices now

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Andrew Syrios I thought KC was bad but DFW is worse  lol

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Brown:

    @Andrew Syrios I thought KC was bad but DFW is worse  lol

     KC is terrible but many markets are worse. Some much worse.

  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Yadriel Carrasquillo:

    @Rob Lee

    Is 1% normally good enough to cash flow in DFW? I’m new at this. Barely starting to look at prices now

    Hi Yadriel,

    1% is almost impossible in this market.

    Rob

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.