Can an ADU be built in the front yard in Austin?

Can an ADU be built in the front yard in Austin?

Investor · AUSTIN, TX · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 45 votes

Hi everyone, I own a 12,000 lot in Austin (zoned MF-4) that currently has a single family house on it. The house is situated far enough from the street that adding an ADU in the front yard makes the most sense, both for ease of construction and because we intend to eventually tear down the main house and rebuild behind the ADU. We have plenty of room in front even with the 25 foot front setbacks. I have scoured the Austin LDC regs but cannot find anything that says ADUs cannot be constructed in the front yard. Does anyone have information on this? Many thanks.

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason GrotePro Member
Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
4y

Chris, I believe you can... there are some neighborhoods that won't allow 2 units due to deed restrictions... if you know you can build two houses in that specific hood, then I don't think putting an ADU in front is an issue. Have you tried calling the city's permitting department? They should offer some insight there.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jason GrotePro Member
    Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 286 posts · 88 votes
    4y

    Chris, I believe you can... there are some neighborhoods that won't allow 2 units due to deed restrictions... if you know you can build two houses in that specific hood, then I don't think putting an ADU in front is an issue. Have you tried calling the city's permitting department? They should offer some insight there.

  • Investor · AUSTIN, TX · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 45 votes
    4y

    @Jason Grote thanks for the reply. I have not yet called development services but will do so next week. We do have deed restrictions limiting us to two dwellings. Obviously the City does not enforce deed restrictions but a neighbor could. 

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Chris Schorre I don't see why it would be an issue IF you don't have deed restrictions or survey restrictions. It's no different than the two-unit condo homes you see developed all over central Austin when they tear an old home down. Let us know what the city says and hopefully, it's YES.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    4y

    I want to say I read somewhere about someone being turned down on a front yard adu by a neighborhood advisory board or some such.  Not saying you cannot, just that there may be an additional hurtle vs a backyard adu.

  • Investor · AUSTIN, TX · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 45 votes
    4y

    @Jason Grote, @Marian Smith, and @Ryan Kelly - fyi I spoke with Austin Development Services and Tyler Johnson (Plans Examiner) confirmed that an ADU can indeed be built in the front yard if all other setbacks are met.

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Chris Schorre thanks for confirming. I've got a property in south Austin that could be a candidate for a front yard ADU.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Caleb Angel it's a property I own and don't plan to sell. I don't think I'll build an ADU, but always good to confirm it's an option.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi @Ryan Kelly My apologies, I thought you meant as a listing. If you would like to look at what building an ADU would look like, I would be happy to talk through your options with you. If you own the property you could potentially build with no money down and build in interest reserves so you don't have to pay anything out of pocket until the ADU is completed and has a renter in it or is sold. Please let me know if you would like to chat further!

  • Real Estate Agent · Waco, TX · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    Hey @Ryan Kelly do you have any builders that you recommend for building ADUs in ATX?

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Trevor Caswell I just text you two options. 

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.