Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 36 votes
Hey Esteemed BP'ers!
I hoping someone can point me in some direction. I am looking for a market for SFRs within 3 hours of Austin / Round Rock where the price to entry is 90k-120k for B Class areas. I have been doing some research, but I find myself turning in all directions. I would love to hear where some of you have had success. Thanks for your input.
Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 182 votes
10y
Hello Nicholas Ameluxen
For rentals you need to follow the jobs and the people. San Antonio is by far the best city for rental properties.
If you're ever in town we can show you around.
Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
10y
Amen, Kevin. Cream rises to the top. Make your rentals the best value in the neighborhood and you will prosper. Many aren't willing to do that. No worries, good investors will be waiting for those properties, too!
Killeen, TX · Member since 2015 · 85 posts · 60 votes
10y
Steve - I agree totally. Killeen has an unemployment rate below the national average and a fast growing population. It is not a city in distress at all. The current housing market is healthy. The current supply of active listings at 1,289 listings is below its 5 year average of 1,631. Demand is healthy with year-over-year closed sales up over 18%. It is not over built. If it were, median sales price would fall over time, it's not. It's rising slightly. In July 2016, median sales price was $139,900...the 5-yr average is $136,323. Our real estate market is fine and our market dynamics allows one to find fabulous investments at bargain prices if one understands our market, knows where to look and knows how to win at it.
Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
10y
Hello and welcome to BP! I would want to know why you felt it demanding that you are 3hours away from Austin/Read Rock? I'm 59 years old and have many opinions but you must have written goals and review them daily no matter what. Do not look at things you do not think about or know. System ise your work and try to be income productive. I found BP about a year ago and I am still trying to decide what to do when I can walk again (because of a brain anuerism and a stroke).
Do not forget that you are in a business and try not to forget that. Do not cut any corners to make something look better. You are experienced and I will try to keep that on my mind and only discuss what matters. I have been mostly self employed by 1988 and had my own business when I broke down. I have done mostly everything and have to comment on just about everything.
Knowing your selected market is important and knowing if that economy is diverse and the population is growing. I believe that Texas looks pretty good but you cannot depend on the future. The economy in Texas has always been pretty good in my lifetime as I was from and raised in Dallas. My father has always been self employed and has been in real estate buying and selling for about 45 years and he has taught me a little bit. The bulk of my experience has been in construction and I held a broker license for about 30 years even though I have never done real estate full time.
I did close deals for other people and have only done one investment deal for myself. We have done well because of immigration and do not know how that will be effected by the next President. You just have to make decisions based on what is currently happening now and do not let what may happen in the future effect your decisions unless they are real. Good luck to you!
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 636 posts · 486 votes
10y
How about Elgin? I just loaned some money to another investor for a few properties down there and it seems to be just starting to hit that growth phase that most of Texas is experiencing. Provided growth continues, I'd say it's a good bet.
Arlington, VA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 2 votes
10y
Hello all. I used to live in the Killeen/Belton area and likely moving back next Spring. Trying to find a GREAT deal to rehab, live in, and rent 2-3 years later. Just rented my first home and want to get into real estate investing. Any ideas of where to start?