Does home owning even make sense in Austin?

Does home owning even make sense in Austin?

Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes

I’m currently renting my residence and am splitting rent ($1450) with my girlfriend. As much as I hate to give my money to a land lord and miss out on any equity build up through loan pay down or appreciation, there are a few benefits.

No maintenance costs, I get to live in a decent location (78746) and have a much shorter commute to work and central Austin.

With the ridiculous pricing in the Austin market, house hacking is almost obsolete. If going the SFH route, I'd have to drop a whopping 25% down on a property around 200-230K just to keep my payments as low as they are now.

And to top it off I’d have to sacrifice location and move much further north or south.

As the title suggests, does home owning even make sense in the Austin Market? Or am I better off investing my money in properties further out that can actually produce CF and continue renting my primary residence?

Thanks!

Shawn

1Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

You can look at this as a math problem or how you want to live the choice is yours, but keep in mind that your rent will go up over time where a mortgage payment will not.

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Moorhead I'm primarily looking in the south Austin area. Mainly 78745 and 78748. Though I'm trying to stick closer to William Cannon rather than Slaughter..

    There are plenty under 400K, but I'm trying to stick much closer to 250K. That narrows the options down quite a bit.

    As for an STR license, I have not entertained that much. But have heard of others having success doing airbnb in the area

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Shawn Jaffee getting a STR license for a property you live in is easy. Just call the city, they were easy to deal with when I called.

    Start making offers! You can't get a deal until you ask. Taking action is what moves you forward.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    @Shawn Jaffee, thanks for starting this thread - I'm in the same boat as you and asking myself the same thing!

    @Jordan Moorhead, interested in hearing more about where.how you're finding these and how you got your deal done!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Scott Fehrenkamp everything I've found has been on the MLS or through a Realtor that knew about a deal. I've only used bank financing except for a 6 month period which I had owner financing on a place. That first duplex I bought before I had a license and a buddy that had a license and I would look at 2 or 3 a morning a few times a week, for several months.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @shawnjaffee how do you feel about the lamar and rundberg area?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Michael Solomon Its funny that you mentioned it, because I've been able to find some pretty cheap deals in that area the last two days. Though talking to my realtor, there's a reason why these properties are priced so low lol.

    I haven't personally driven through that area, so something I'll have to look into.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    We are near the Lamar and Rundberg area. The NACA neighborhood is actually pretty nice - and the SFRs are going for $300k+ depending on condition. There are pockets that I would probably avoid, but it's really up and coming. We've been looking for another duplex in that area to owner occupy.

  • Accountant · Austin · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 2 votes
    8y

    Allison, I just bought a duplex on Golden Quail Dr. to owner occupy. Seems to be a nice pocket to find reasonably priced properties in a decent hood. 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Shawn, there's a SFH over there with an ADU that needs work that might fit what you're looking for. Sorry I don't remember the street but it's a decent home(needs leveling) and with a couple fixes the 1 bedroom(needs plumbing in kitchen) should make $1200 (this is my opinion).

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Michael Solomon I'm assuming this deal is on the MLS?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    @Ben Cowles - that makes us practically neighbors - hi! I'd love to hear about your purchase if you want to DM me! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    @Michael Solomon, are you saying a 1 bedroom ADU would bring in $1200 in the Rundberg/Lamar area? Because if you are, I would strongly disagree with that assessment. 2/1s in the area with attached garages, even fixed up ones, top out at around $1295 a month. You would be hard pressed to get $1200 a month for a 1/1.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Jaffee:

    @Michael Solomon I'm assuming this deal is on the MLS?

    Yes, it's on the MLS as a single family.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Allison Stewart:

    @Michael Solomon, are you saying a 1 bedroom ADU would bring in $1200 in the Rundberg/Lamar area? Because if you are, I would strongly disagree with that assessment. 2/1s in the area with attached garages, even fixed up ones, top out at around $1295 a month. You would be hard pressed to get $1200 a month for a 1/1.

     Wow, thanks Allison, it was a guess on my part. I didn't look up rents in the area. That definitely makes a difference. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    @Michael Solomon, yeah it'd be hard to find good comps for a 1/1 - there aren't many of them - but I would think $900 a month would be around the max. To be fair, I haven't looked at 1/1 units in the area (our units are 3/2 and 2/1 so that's what I follow), but I know 2/1 units have a lot of competition and don't usually get much above $1200. 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Who is looking to house hack in NW Austin? 

    This duplex with a bonus 3rd 1/1 unit just went up in our neighborhood. Its on a cul-de-sac close and walking distance to Springwoods Park.

    This is a great way to live very affordably in Austin, build equity, and learn how to operate rental property and manage tenants (if you choose).

    We also own/occupy a duplex nearby and would love to have like minded neighbors!

    9009 Sawtooth Lane 78729

    https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/29564869_zpi...

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Looks like 9009 Sawtooth is already pending, but 9001 Sawtooth just went up for sale too: 

    https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/9001-Sawtooth-Ln-78729/unit-B/home/32778272

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    I'm surprised nobody mentions Austin property taxes. They're insane!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    @Shawn Jaffee - I have the same conversation in my head. You have to drop a lot of cash and pay a high mortgage if you want to live within 15 minutes of downtown. Or you can essentially move away from Austin and go live in Pflugerville or Buda. 

    The way I look at it is like this: imagine if you bought a house in the Zilker neighborhood back in 1985. How much money would you make if you sold it now? A gazillion dollars right? Well back in 1985 the Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos real estate market was in a boom, much like today. As far as I can tell, at that time the boom was 7 years old (the data only goes back to 1977). 

    That example tells me that if you buy in a strong location and hold for a long time then you will come out fine, even in a boom - if you are ready to commit to long term ownership.

    Austin Historical Price Index: 

    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS12420Q   

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Reggie Wright I just bought a decent sized place in East Austin for $260k

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.