Property Tax Appeal in Williamson county

Property Tax Appeal in Williamson county

San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Dear all, 

I just receive the property tax assessment for my rentals in Williamson county and I would like to protest the property tax. Because I am an out of state landlord, I don't feel confident doing the appeal myself, especially this is my first time. Would you please let me know

1. Should I do this on my own or should I hire someone for this ? If I should do it myself, any tip/guidance ?

2. If I should hire someone else to do the appeal, please provide your recommendation based on your experience.

Thank you,

Edward

0Reply
27 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    They are very easy to do online with Williamson County - they have an express protest - comes back in about 24 hours.  More than likely you don't have much of a protest because the values have literally skyrocketed here!  Did they send the comp sheet?

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 317 posts · 257 votes
    5y

    @Edward Pham I use Texas ProTax on all of my properties and they do a phenomenal job. Check them out https://texasprotax.com/

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    With Covid you may be in luck.....You can try online appeal first....if that doesn't work, then you can try phone call with an appraiser....vs in person visit, and ultimately the dreaded in from of the appraisal board review, but some counties have that virtually now too.

    Remember you have to have evidence....they like pictures of your cracks, peeling paint, foundation issues, etc.   A professional appraisal showing a lower value could help (That could cost you money though--$500 or so).  Actual sales comps for the area can help too.   Not Zillow, not Redfin...but realtor comps of comparable sales.

    You have to PROVE the value they came up with during the automated process is not correct.

    Some you will win, some you won't, but typically doesn't hurt to try.  They can determine a higher value though...so you have to be confindent that your evidence justifies a lower value.

    There are professional companies out there that will fight for you.  Some charge flat fee, some charge a % if they win, some charge 1/2 the savings, etc.  Several different models out there to fight for you.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Stokes:

    @Edward Pham I use Texas ProTax on all of my properties and they do a phenomenal job. Check them out https://texasprotax.com/

    Thanks @Stephen Stokes. I will check them out 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Bruce Lynn Thank you for your comment. Appreciate it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.