Bought a condo with an HOA that doesn't allow STRs. What do I do?

Bought a condo with an HOA that doesn't allow STRs. What do I do?

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 24 votes

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the B unit of a two-unit condo association and it has a main house and a separate garage apartment. My plan was to cover most of the mortgage through Airbnbing out the garage apartment since it does not have a kitchen, but come to find out as I am closing there are restrictions on STRs in the HOA. The seller's agent communicated to my agent verbally that there would be no restrictions on short term rentals and that there was also not an HOA. They also did not include this in the MLS listing, but it was included in one of the seller's disclosure notices. I believe this is on myself and my realtor for not thoroughly reading the details before I signed everything, however I am wondering if there is anything that I can do. I have already talked to the owners of the front unit and they are ok with long-term renting, but not short-term. This puts me in a bit of a bind since there is no kitchen to the garage apartment unit, making it hard to rent long-term. I am considering putting a kitchen in the garage apartment, but need to know who to speak to if this is even allowed or not.

Any and all advice or resources for me to reach out to would be greatly appreciated!


Thanks,

Daniel

0Reply
79 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
5y

@Daniel Tisdale get a current copy of the HOA agreement and read the exact wording before you do anything. It should define specifically what type of renting is allowed. It may say something like stays over 30 days, which would give you the option to do monthly furnished rentals. Traveling nurses, professors or business professionals sometimes have 30-90 day type assignments and they want something more than a hotel. You also want to make sure that there is any limitation at all. You may have been told one thing, but it isn't in writing in the bylaws. I was told my neighborhood had covenants and even given a list, but come to find out it was not filed with the city so it is non binding.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 432 posts · 341 votes
    5y

    Oh gosh yes.. this is bad. And it’s not all on you - it’s really on the agent. Your agent. Your agent was well aware of what your intentions were and should have had your back covered completely. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, Austin · Member since 2018 · 246 posts · 213 votes
    5y

    So sorry! Sloppy agents on both sides wanting to make that quick sell. Not much you can do. In order for you to add that kitchen you're going to need to get solid contractors and you will certainly need city permits. Terrible how something like HOA was easily missed.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Nina Hayden any thoughts or ideas on how I can potentially resolve this situation?

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, Austin · Member since 2018 · 246 posts · 213 votes
    5y

    Did you just close on it?  As in today? Right now finding good contractor that is reliable will be your first step.  They will come out and check out the job; they will file the city permits.  My guys are wrapped in big project.  There’s one gal,SKelly Home Renovations, you may want to reach out. I had her bid on one of my projects.  

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Nina Hayden, yes I closed on this yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion! I will reach out to her about this now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, Austin · Member since 2018 · 246 posts · 213 votes
    5y

    So, on the closing table you found out???? Because when title is opened from the moment one of the agent sends the contract to the title, HOA docs need to be ordered ASAP, meaning you should have found out back then! It's just weird how your agent didn't tell you either because someone had to pay for HOA docs resale certificate. Trying to understand how you weren't told this important information.
    FYI while SKelly was reputable and seemed very knowledgeable as well as experienced, they were on the high end of renovations.  I got a job done for 8k when they quoted me 38k. So again, sorry! At this point and given the market you’re going to have to decide what you are ok with spending wise.  

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    Yeah I believe that I was told that there was an HOA, but that there was no limitation on renting it in a short term capacity, which is the only reason that I even bought the property. Having a separate unit with a garage apartment that has no kitchen is pretty much useless to me. It is just me in the property and the main unit has 2 beds and 2 baths, so more than enough space for me there. I was planning to make up most of the mortgage payment with the money from the short term rental and now feel like I should maybe try and re-sell it, so that I get out quickly, but that is clearly a lot of money down the drain already.

  • Member since 2010 · 210 posts · 158 votes
    5y

    Is the condo association allowing you to add in a kitchen?

    Originally posted by @Daniel Tisdale:

    @Nina Hayden, yes I closed on this yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion! I will reach out to her about this now.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Dell J. that I am not sure about. How would I find this information out?

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Tisdale get a current copy of the HOA agreement and read the exact wording before you do anything. It should define specifically what type of renting is allowed. It may say something like stays over 30 days, which would give you the option to do monthly furnished rentals. Traveling nurses, professors or business professionals sometimes have 30-90 day type assignments and they want something more than a hotel. You also want to make sure that there is any limitation at all. You may have been told one thing, but it isn't in writing in the bylaws. I was told my neighborhood had covenants and even given a list, but come to find out it was not filed with the city so it is non binding.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock, it says no leases shorter than 6 months. I am hopeful that I can get the front unit to change that to limit it to 30 days or 60 days, but the 6 month time frame is really messing things up. Should I have a lawyer read over this HOA doc before proceeding with anything?

  • Investor · Hawaiian Gardens, CA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 386 votes
    5y

    You'll have to check with HOA IF they'll allow you to add a kitchen or anything in the other unit.

    If not, I would do your best make-shift kitchen as you could with a hot-plate, microwave, etc. Would settle for a 6month to 1 year tenant in the interim until you can see if it's possible to do short-term tenants in the long term.

  • Member since 2020 · 983 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Sell the property and try to break even. For the last three properties I sold they were selling in one day and buyers were offering $20k to $50k more than my asking price 

    I sold all my homes in Las Vegas and one of the reasons I sold was because the HOA's were driving me crazy with their monthly fees, complaints and fines.

    If you are into Bnb then sell, but it seems like a high percent if cities are banning them, or putting restrictions on them to make operating them difficult and expensive.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Tisdale You are a two member condo association! What is unit one going to do? Fine you? Are they the only "board" members? Shouldn't unit 2 have a seat on the board? Shouldn't unit 2 be able to make a motion and vote on, say, no fines over 25 cents. Come on. The two member condos were just formed to sell two dwellings on one lot and maybe share one water meter. why does 2 have a garage apartment with no kitchen if not for str? it sort of implies str usage. how can #1 prove you are str and not letting brand new friends stay and give you a housewarming cash gift? Please!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    If it's anything like Las Vegas they had to give you the HOA dox and 3 days to peruse them. Then you have to sign a document saying there is an HOA, you've seen the paperwork including financials and CC&R's, and you know the use of your property may be limited. I would talk to a Texas realtor and find out if they have the same rules.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 459 posts · 305 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Tisdale

    At this point you could move into the garage apartment and add a June Oven and a plug-in induction cook top. The June oven is amazing and much cheaper than a remodel. The rent from the main unit will help pay your bills.

    Best of luck 🍀

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Tisdale:

    @Joe Splitrock, it says no leases shorter than 6 months. I am hopeful that I can get the front unit to change that to limit it to 30 days or 60 days, but the 6 month time frame is really messing things up. Should I have a lawyer read over this HOA doc before proceeding with anything?

    If you are going to add a kitchen, also make sure the HOA agreement doesn't require them to approve the changes. An efficiency kitchen isn't very expensive, but the the stove and refrigerator put extra demands on the electrical panel. You will need to run new circuits for both. I suspect renting an efficiency unit could still make you good money.

    Consider joining the HOA board if you have the opportunity. You can influence from within. Be careful because HOA have been known to change the rules, so 6 month lease could turn into 12 month or even not allowing rentals at all.

    I personally would never buy with an HOA, because they are often horrible to deal with. Usually staffed by older people with nothing better to do than make your life miserable. They are also known to mismanage money, which can result in huge assessments for common area improvements. Don't sweat it too much, make the best of it and if it becomes problematic in the future, sell the property and move on.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 111 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Tisdale Start looking for another property & 1031 exchange.

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Maybe you can just rent out both sides to a large or multi generational family.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.