Investor · Plymouth, MN · Member since 2020 · 157 posts · 102 votes
My wife and I are exploring purchasing a rental in Lisbon, Portugal. We have traveled there many times and love the country. I can speak Portuguese, so I don't have much of a language barrier. The plan for the property would be to rent it monthly while we are not there and use it at least once a year for ourselves. I'm up to date on Portugal's various STR restrictions.
Is there anyone here that owns a place there? I'd love to connect....
CA > Portugal · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
2y
The problem with midterm and longterm is that you are obligated to extend the lease up to 3 years if the tenants wants to because midterm leases are under the same rules as long term.
CA > Portugal · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
2y
The problem with midterm and longterm is that you are obligated to extend the lease up to 3 years if the tenants wants to because midterm leases are under the same rules as long term.
The problem with midterm and longterm is that you are obligated to extend the lease up to 3 years if the tenants wants to because midterm leases are under the same rules as long term.
That's not really the case. You can have for example a 6 months contract, extendable, as you are not covered by long-term rental rules (neither "benefits"). I've been renting out for the last 2 years using that systems (room by room) and it works - gross rental yields at 10% in some parts of Lisbon underserved.
Investor · Madison WI · Member since 2021 · 140 posts · 103 votes
1y
From my understanding month to month rentals (mid term) are not going to fall under the same regulatory regime as long term leases. Also the AL legislation just changed again, and the rule making is being moved to the municipalities so there may be changes to AL licenses in Lisbon moving forward.