Tenant got charged $3000 water bill. What would you do/recommend?

Tenant got charged $3000 water bill. What would you do/recommend?

New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes

Hi guys!

My tenant of a year is having an issue with the city of chesapeake. The tenant recently got a $3000 water bill, and their normal usage is $300-$400. I called a local plumber to perform a leak detection test and found no leaks. The city came out to the property and checked the meter and determined there was no leaks. So after a water bill adjustment, the city is still charging the tenant $2200. Is there anything I need to do? What should I recommend to my tenant?

Thanks!

2Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Lagrangeville, NY · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 218 votes
5y

@Quan Chau

Tenant probably did something stupid and they aren't telling you.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    is the toilet running??? that is the first thing to check as that is probably the issue! 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    They should appeal the bill and talk to someone. Clearly that level of usage is not normal.  I agree with Mary about getting the toilet checked, but I can't see a running toilet accounting for that big of a jump.  I did have to laugh as I read it as the city of cheapskate!

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Mary M. Toilet was not running. I recently replaced the toilet and the plumber tested for leakages and none was found.

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Theresa Harris. Have you had problems with city of Chesapeake? The tenant appeal and still got charged $2200. It is crazy!

  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    Did you actually verify the bill?  Either they used it or they didn't.  Something is wrong.   I would need a representative from the water company there and walk through it with him. It's possible the tenant was under charged for a period maybe. 

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Robert Johnson yes I have verified, the bill was only for 1 bill cycle. The bill was stated for 185 consumptions of water above the normal usage, which is equivalent to fill 3 swimming pools. I’m not sure what I need to do for the tenant. I have called and got no answers from the city.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Quan Chau:

    @Theresa Harris. Have you had problems with city of Chesapeake? The tenant appeal and still got charged $2200. It is crazy!

     I don't live in that area.  I did have a tenant where the water bill went up a bit (leaking toilet valve which she said nothing about) and the town reduced the amount of her bill.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    check the neighbors...something diverted? Did the city change anything recently and they could have mixed up meters? What do you mean by determined no leaks? Could there be a leak in the city line. That big a jump has to have something...you and the tenant are on the same side here, you won't be able to rent it easily with that hanging over people's heads.

  • Real Estate Agent · San DIego · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 185 votes
    5y

    I'd file a PUC complaint... a Public Utility Complaint.  Also monitor the meter, is it happening again this month?  

    I have rentals in several counties with several water companies, and every single one of them will come after me for the water bill payment if the tenant defaults.  They will put a lien on the property via the tax bill.  

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan R McLaughlin. We re thinking the city might have mixed up the meters. Or was reading the meter wrong all previous times and now finally read it right and decided to charge $2200 bill. According to the plumber, he checked the meter and if there was any leaks in the house, the meter would be the tell-take sign. Plumber waited 40 minutes with no usage in the house and the meter didn’t change. So the plumber determined there was no leaks in the house.

    The current renter wants to renew the lease for another year but I don’t know if they will be able to if they have to pay $2200 water bill.

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @JJ P. Thank you! I’ll do that!

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary M.:

    is the toilet running??? that is the first thing to check as that is probably the issue! 

     This is probably not what you want to hear, but like Mary said the toilet is the first thing that comes to mind. We had a flapper that got stuck in the upward position once and in just a 4-6 days time it elevated the water bill $800. 

  • Lagrangeville, NY · Member since 2017 · 144 posts · 218 votes
    5y

    @Quan Chau

    Tenant probably did something stupid and they aren't telling you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Largo, FL · Member since 2021 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Quan Chau send them the report of leak issues. Inspect the usage bill for odd patterns. Get the city to take a look at the meter for faults 🤷🏻‍♂️

    Not a pro, just spitballing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    5y

    @Quan Chau you mentioned you got a new toilet, have you determined that the new toilet is not the issue? Still, I would replace the fill valve and flapper. They are inexpensive (under $20 for both) and are typically the cause of water spikes. Secondly, check with the tenants and ask them have their patterns changed at all or did they leave the water dripping. They may not realize that something they are doing is causing this. Did you test for leaks inside the unit too? Did the tenant install a washing machine? You can also check the sprinkler lines, if you have one.

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Melody R.:

    @Quan Chau you mentioned you got a new toilet, have you determined that the new toilet is not the issue? Still, I would replace the fill valve and flapper. They are inexpensive (under $20 for both) and are typically the cause of water spikes. Secondly, check with the tenants and ask them have their patterns changed at all or did they leave the water dripping. They may not realize that something they are doing is causing this. Did you test for leaks inside the unit too? Did the tenant install a washing machine? You can also check the sprinkler lines, if you have one.

    Nothing was glaring from what the plumber could see. The tenant claimed to have no change in water usage patterns (I'm reluctant to believe that) No new appliances but the house did get new water valves for the washer but I can't imagine that being the cause for the spikes. 

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Would you guys recommend paying part of the bill so the tenant does not default and avoid any potential tax bill later? 

  • Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 73 votes
    5y

    Hello Quan Chau.  Are you sure it's not... just kidding.  I have rentals in many different towns in northeast Ohio.  There is one town I sold the properties as the tenants would pay their water bills fine and then get hit with a huge bill like the ones that hit your tenants.  Not that large but BIG.  I don't think one toilet would cause one that large although it can do some huge damage to a utility bill.  Do you know if any other people in the nearby area are having similar problems with the water department.  It sounds like you did your due diligence in getting the meter checked and with the plumber.  Although it might be like a doctor thing, you may want to have another plumber come out for a second opinion.  If there does not seem to be movement on the meter, I would think it could be the water department.  It does happen.  If there are others in the area having the same issue, it is a good issue to bring up at a town council meeting.  We got some headway in the town I spoke of above.  If you do not hear of anyone else in the area seeming to have this problem and it does seem mostly just this house than I would try to figure out if there could be a leak in a wall.  That can cause a big bill and a lot of money down the road if that is the issue.  The meter thing seems odd that is not moving, which makes me believe it has to be a water department issue.

    On helping with the bill, I have done that as a landlord.  The problem is, was this a one-time thing and this was a mistake you can get resolved?  Is this a bigger problem that will result in another huge bill next month?   Before deciding on how to help with the bill, I think it would be good if you had a clear culprit.  

    Not sure if I was any more help than any of the others.  I have fixed up houses and do know that if watching a meter you have to watch it over a longer period of time.  So if the plumber is telling you that from one visit, that is not enough information to let you know if there is a leak in the house or not.  You want to check on water loss over days.  You may have done this then ignore this advice.  But checking it once a day would be wise to see how much change there has been.  If you don't know what to look for in terms of amount if you have a comparable rental with roughly the same amount of people you can compare it to or just your own house and see if there is a big change from day to day, this could help you decide if you need another plumber to take a better look.

  • Sean McDowellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia SC / Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    This happened to us recently in Norfolk. A billing cycle for a few days was a few thousand dollars. We contested the reading and after talking to some supervisors they eventually reduced it to a normal usage bill. Still not sure what really happened for it to be so far off. No issues since.

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Sean McDowell what were your methods of contesting? I have talked to the city and they does not seem to care and would not work with me. I have thought about paying for the bill or have my lawyer get involved.

  • Sean McDowellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia SC / Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    @Quan Chau the water bill was in our name at the time, so we could contest it directly on the phone. Also, we got copies of past bills to show normal usage. I think it helped us that it was a few days and a tremendous amount of water used. (Our duplex would have floated away!)

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Sean McDowell thank you for the tips! I’ll collect any information I can from the tenant and talk to the city. The water bill is under the tenants name but I think I can still argue. The water usage would have flood the house since it is 185 consumptions over the normal usage (enough to fill 3 medium size swimming pools)

  • Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 73 votes
    5y

    Quan Chau, I would talk to your lawyer about it and see if he would send a letter to the water department about it if they are not answering you.  Sometimes a letter from a lawyer with their law firm letterhead will get the wheels of bureaucracy moving.  Before sending that letter I would ask around and see if others are having the issue.  Having more than one complaint to go with that letter helps have more force.  But see if you can contest it with a simple letter if you are not getting any action any other way.

  • New to Real Estate · Virginia Beach · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Ben Riechmann thank you! I’ll try to contest it first and if that doesn’t work then I’ll talk to my lawyer. As far as I know, the neighbors did not have any issues with their water bill.

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Quan Chau:

    @Ben Riechmann thank you! I’ll try to contest it first and if that doesn’t work then I’ll talk to my lawyer. As far as I know, the neighbors did not have any issues with their water bill.

     Why on earth would you put this much time into it, including paying an attorney?? The plumber and county/city said there is no leak. That means there is no leak.. It sounds like you got your answer already. Unless it's your problem, you should not be tossing your money away into other peoples life issues. For all you know the tenant left a hose or tub running, maybe one of their family members did, or they left someone borrow some water, and now are shocked and trying to get out of a bill they clearly owe. If you are not responsible, it is not your problem.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.