If you're old enuff, you'll meet a few CROOKS

If you're old enuff, you'll meet a few CROOKS

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I posted an article this morning about Rick Koerber, from Utah Conty, Utah. He has fleeced a few thousand people and is probably going to prison. I mentioned that he is of my same religion, I'm sorry to say. During my day today, I started thinking back to when I moved to Utah 25 years ago. It was a very interesting stop in my career.
I'd already retired and moved in a couple doors down from Robert Allen. He had just hit it big with his No Money Down book. I told him it would get a lot of people in trouble. Easy to buy with nothing down. Not so easy to make the payments monthly on alligators! Robert was playing on the trusting people in his area and it grew from there. He eventually went BK.
Before that, I met someone in CO, whos' dad Grant Affleck had just been sentenced to prison for using opm for improper things. . His company was AFFCO. There seemed to be a lot of start-ups in Utah.I still don't know whether it is the entrepreneurial spirit of the Mormons(of which I am one), the trusting mannerisms of the Mormons or what.
One of my first homes I purchased in Utah to "flip" was to a gentleman by the name of Wade Cook. Yes, that Wade Cook. He and his wife are also now both in prison. How wierd is all this??
I guess I'd have to tell everyone to be careful of deals with Utah folks. That is a sad thing for me to say.
And now, Rick Koerber looks like he is going away. I really think most of these had good intentions when they started. Then, they reduce their standards to stay afloat when things deteriorate, and change their business program.
I guess this thread is just to offer a warning. NO ONE will ever take as good of care of your money as you will!! If it sounds too good to be true,duh... There is a lot of incorrect info being passed around out there. GO Zone is another one that will really generate a lot of lawsuits. Chinese drywall is another. Be careful and happy investing!! Rich in Fl.

3Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
16y

I don't care how old or smart you are -- if you have a single trusting bone in your body you will get taken for something, sometime, and usually more than once (though not in the same way or, hopefully, by the same person).

Knowing that is how I am, I try not to ever bet the whole farm and therefore limit potential damage.

The pain to my pride, however, always seems pretty depthy, if I may coin a word.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Am I the only one that has stories with crooks? Do I have the market cornered? Is it a Utah thing? Am I a crook magnet? Feel free to throw darts now. Rich.

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    16y

    Care to expound on the 'Go Zone' comment? I realize I live in or next to a cave,,cause I havent heard of that one before!!

    Heard of the chinese drywall,,,gee I am batting 50% is that good or bad??

    I am an OLD geezer too and have met a few slick willie's in my time. I was born right between the invention of dirt and the other invention,the wheel.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    Just Don- you're not old-I'm old!

    gozone was a temporary act written in 2005 to aide the recovery from Katrina in tx,la,ms,ala and fl. There were tricks to it and different areas were handled differently. If you bought certain property, you could take an EXTRA 50% depreciation in the acquisition year. Huge benefit , especially for those "in the business of real estate". You could carry unused loss forward UP to 20 years and even go BACKWARDS 5 years, file an amended return and recapture income taxes paid in the previous years. Killer deal. Rich.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    Is it a Utah thing?


    Mormons tend to be very kind and trusting, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who will specifically prey on them...
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    J scott- that is how I got my wife!!! Rich

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    J scott- that is how I got my wife!!! Rich


    Ditto... :wink:

    She's not Mormon, but after living in SLC and having all Mormon friends for many years, she adopted the personality...
  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    I don't care how old or smart you are -- if you have a single trusting bone in your body you will get taken for something, sometime, and usually more than once (though not in the same way or, hopefully, by the same person).

    Knowing that is how I am, I try not to ever bet the whole farm and therefore limit potential damage.

    The pain to my pride, however, always seems pretty depthy, if I may coin a word.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    NC Mark- Just as your comment said, if you're in this long enuff, you'll be taken by someone. Also, you'll be sued, and audited if you're in this long enuff. Nothing to be worried about, just something to be prepared for with perfect paperwork and excellent estate planning. Rich.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.