Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
PSA on real estate guru fake testimonials/reviews

Account Closed
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jun 24 2017, 13:43

I do video work professionally and came across something that not everyone may be aware of. I see a lot of new people asking about real estate guru programs and so forth - often, the gurus and people who jump in to back them up cite client testimonials as proof of their program's success.

Professional video costs money, but there are many places to get cheap (and low quality) video work. One of the cheap places is Fiverr, their pitch being that most services start at $5. Was on the site recently and found something interesting - they have an entire category dedicated to testimonials. Naturally this is not *supposed* to be full of people offering fake reviews, but of course it is. I saw a number of American sellers doing fake testimonials for anything from real estate, make money online, accident attorneys ("I was in a car wreck"), etc.

Fake testimonials are nothing new, but I wanted to point out that I could get TEN decent to high quality testimonials for my new "course" just by writing out the scripts and paying $50. How do the sellers make money? They can charge $5 because they get say 20 orders over the course of a week and then do them all at once, hence $100 for maybe an hour or so of work (they also try to upsell for various features etc.) If someone was willing to spend a bit more money, of course you could get even better testimonials/reviews.

Many of us probably disregard unverified testimonials anyways, but I personally had not realized how cheaply they could be obtained (from Americans) until I happened to see and figured I'd share. There are other sites that offer these services at similar prices. Be careful :)

edit: Forgot to add - often these reviews are justified as "someone left me that review on my site and I just wanted to have it converted into video form" ;)

Loading replies...