(DO IT NOW!!) Stessa, Cozy and Buildium are going to integrate!

16 Replies

Hi,

Stessa is looking to integrate with Cozy and Buildium. And Stessa wanted me to ask what investors are looking for when they integrate with them. Cozy and Buildium would like to know too.

I'm collecting all of the requests from investors. And will send it to them within a week.

So, if there are any updates that you would like Cozy or Buildium to do, say so now. Or, what do you want to see after Stessa integrates with Cozy and Buildium?

(Your requests in this form will be sent to the developers of both Stessa, Cozy and Buildium, and will be considered as a possible update)

I don't work for any of these comapnies, if your wondering. I was just chatting with an employee of Stessa's, and convinced them to start integrating with these companies to enhance the investors experience on both Cozy and Buildium! 

Write away!

- Caleb 

Let me clarify that Cozy and Buildium are NOT integrating with each other. Stessa is integrating with both of them. But, all three companies would like to know what INVESTORS would like updated, or a new feature that would be nice to have on their software that they can build while they're  integrating with Stessa.

Even though it's still in the planning phase, they would like to know before they start the process.

1. Stay free! (At least for cozy)
2. Provide an API so i can integrate my own systems (probably only a tiny market for that tho). For example id like to automate collecting the payment status information instead of having to log in manually
3.  For cozy, allow us to set up notifications if rent isnt paid on time, and let us set what kind of status reports we get and when. Right now cozy just seems to send out completely random payment status emails about a random selection of my rentals and its borderline useless.

I'm a Cozy and Stessa customer.  It would be great to see them integrate:

To Stessa: Integrate to improve cash flow planning planning and analysis -  

e.g (lease start/stop, tenant, maintenance expense and category, rent related meta data, e.g. deposits, late fees, rent) comes over from cozy and can be matched/reconciled with stessa).  

To Cozy: could really benefit from Stessa dashboards on their pages with a seamless click thru to Stessa for drilling through the data.

.  Please feel free to provide my name.  

@Rick Baggenstoss That's a lot of what I'm going to tell them too! I will definitely make sure they know your name! Every one who posts here will have there name and question sent to the companies.

I agree that Cozy should update their dashboard. I really like Stessa's dashboard and how it looks, and the data they have on it. I also think they should add a place inside your account to store maintenance contacts, like your plumber or handyman, and be able to alert them through Cozy about my needed repair.

I think Cozy should also integrate with Happy Inspector. A super helpful app landlords and contractors use for inspections and repairs. It allows both parties to communicate with each other. 

@David Stumpf When you say a better application, what exactly do you mean? They are going to want specific updates, and I'm a little afraid that they would not know exactly what you meant by a better application. 

Originally posted by @Nicky Reader:

1. Stay free! (At least for cozy)
2. Provide an API so i can integrate my own systems (probably only a tiny market for that tho). For example id like to automate collecting the payment status information instead of having to log in manually
3.  For cozy, allow us to set up notifications if rent isnt paid on time, and let us set what kind of status reports we get and when. Right now cozy just seems to send out completely random payment status emails about a random selection of my rentals and its borderline useless.

To go off your #3, Cozy does send you a notification if rent isn't paid on time. The notification comes in form of email and tells you when the late fee has been added and to what unit. 

@Caleb L.    The only required fields are name, date of birth, and phone number.  The rest is optional.  The rest is my personal preferance: 

There is no "reason for moving" question. Most of the time the reason is BS but every once in a while you get the honest "being kicked out"

I require 5 years of address history on my application because previous landlords tend to be a more accurate reference rather than current landlords.  Cozy application recommends 2 year rental history. 

I like to ask for the employment address.  Sometimes when verifying that the applicant does not list his friend as a manager, I will to look up a phone number for a company. It would be impossible for a company that has multiple addresses.

I prefer to ask if they have any animals rather then pets.

The reference section is completely useless IMO. If an applicant can not find 2 people to say something nice about them, there will most likely be another reason to disqualify them.  It is a waste of time to contact anybody who is not a landlord or employer for a reference.

Possible Solutions:

Allow users to select required fields.  If there is no more info then name, phone, and DOB, I don't even need to look at it.

Allow users to make simple edits to the questions

Create a application setup for users. For Example: "How many years of rental history is required?" the application automatically requires retail history dates beginning at or before this date

Ways to improve even farther:

applicants able to upload ID, Pay stubs, etc. with applications

Is there anything that Buildium could improve on? I don't use them, but I've used the free trial before, and I didn't like it. It has no REAL dashboard to look at, and is all around kind of complicated to use! AppFolio has nice technology, but it's a little confusing too. That's why I like Cozy more. 

Disclosure: Head of industry relations, Cozy

Hi friends

We love hearing all this feedback but we did not ask Caleb to gather this info. Stessa has not approached us about integrating. I’m not sure why Caleb is saying such things or what his real purpose is for this thread.  

Thank you for being a Cozy landlord,

- Lucas

Originally posted by @Lucas Hall :

Hi friends

We love hearing all this feedback but we did not ask Caleb to gather this info. Stessa has not approached us about integrating. I’m not sure why Caleb is saying such things or what his real purpose is for this thread.  

Thank you for being a Cozy landlord,

- Lucas

Hi Lucas, 

Thank you for your concern! The reason for this thread is that I was talking to a Stessa employee, and told him I would gather some information from other investors on what they would like to so when Cozy and them integrate. True, Stessa has not approached Cozy. But, from what I heard, they are planning on it and always looking for ideas to expand their business.

I apologize to Lucas if I seemed to be acting as a representative from Cozy or any other company. My motive was this: To gather information from investors on what Stessa, Cozy and Buildium could improve on. And, in the words of Stessa, "What we're (investors) are looking for if Stessa and Cozy integrated?"

I told Victor, the Stessa employee, that I would post a form on BP to ask investors this question, which he agreed to. I have also talked to a few Cozy employees about sending them updates that investors have requested, which is the purpose of this thread.

Again, I do apologize to Cozy if they're feeling that I'm representing them without their permission, which I totally understand! I hope you can forgive any inconvenience I might have caused Cozy.

I hope this thread can continue, and be a place were investors share ideas on what they would like to see from any of these companies.

Happy Investing,

Caleb

Disclosure: Head of Customer Success, Stessa

Just for the record, Caleb reached out to Stessa last year and expressed a desire for Stessa to integrate with Cozy and Buildium. While we're not actively pursuing either integration at this time, we always welcome user suggestions. We're also open to conversations with other real estate software solutions around collaboration opportunities.

I use Cozy now.  Keep it free.  I want to use Tessa, but have not made the time to yet.

The cost for the background check is higher than most, is it possible to reduce it?  Potential renters seem to want to get it from Zillow as it costs less.  Or alternatively, is there a way to have a reduced price if there are more than 2 adults in one application?  Often the third adult is a college age child or elder parent living with the other 2 adults for support, so the cost for the background check ads up.

I would like an application where I can edit or change questions.  I like to ask specific questions about occupants such as How many individuals over 18 would be residing in the property?  What are their relationship with each other?  How many people under 18.  What is their relationship to the adults?  Please include ANY person who will be staying at the property for more than 2 nights a month.  I do want to know if they have his kids half the time, her kids half the time and there kids all the time, because often these half time kids become full time kids or all end up there together and the water/septic  system can not handle it on some houses. 

Also on the application I ask about animals, not pets, and ask the type, breed, age, how long they have had the animal, kept inside, kept outside, free roaming or kenneled or caged and is the animal fed live insects or animals if so, what are they fed (such as fish, crickets, rabbits, rats, mice, worms).  

I would like to have notification for every property when they pay rent or if it is late.  I get it for some, but not all.  I can not figure out why and have looked for something I turned off or on.  No luck.

It would be nice if rental ads posted to a major real estate selling site such as Realtor.com, Zillow.

Anything ever come of this? I started to use Stessa but most of my portfolio is managed by a company that uses buildium. Without this integration it’s basically useless. 

Originally posted by @Rob D. :

Anything ever come of this? I started to use Stessa but most of my portfolio is managed by a company that uses buildium. Without this integration it’s basically useless. 

Well, Cozy.co was sold to apratments.com, so that part will not be happening!