Are You in Compliance with DC's New Short-Term Rental Laws?

Are You in Compliance with DC's New Short-Term Rental Laws?

Real Estate Broker · DC MD, VA & NV · Member since 2014 · 512 posts · 292 votes

Overall, short-term rentals must be operated by the owner of the unit, and each owner-host must acquire a short-term rental license from DCRA. Hosts with these licenses can admit guests for an unlimited number of nights while they are on the premises. Accessory dwelling units on an owner-occupied premises also qualify under these rules.  Read more here...

https://dc.urbanturf.com/artic...

4Reply
31 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Marian Huish, if I'm reading the rules correctly, for both STR and vacation rental, does this mean that you cannot live out of state (i.e. primary residence is out of state) and do a STR in DC anymore? Any rules or exceptions for that? Thank you!

  • Real Estate Broker · DC MD, VA & NV · Member since 2014 · 512 posts · 292 votes
    4y

    It's a little unclear @April Pun as the guidance states that the property must be your primary residence so if you own a property out of state that is your primary residence, your license would not be approved. It also states, however, that if the property is held in an LLC or other business entity, the property would not be eligible so that implies that an investment property held in by an individual person(s) would be eligible. Here's a link from DCRA: https://dcra.dc.gov/shorttermr....  If others can help clarify, please do so!

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Got it - many thanks Marian !

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Marian Huish thanks for this! Our tenants left this month and I'm looking to AirBNB our English basement. While the property is owner occupied, can I still have someone manage the listing?

    Or do I need to manage it and find a cleaner? As I have a lot on the go I would prefer to have someone manage the booking process too.

    [If that is allowed, any recommendations are welcomed too!]

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Brad Wood:

    @Marian Huish thanks for this! Our tenants left this month and I'm looking to AirBNB our English basement. While the property is owner occupied, can I still have someone manage the listing?

    Or do I need to manage it and find a cleaner? As I have a lot on the go I would prefer to have someone manage the booking process too.

    [If that is allowed, any recommendations are welcomed too!]


     My understanding is if you are living in the property you can get a license and rent it out and you can have someone manage it.

    Here is a good link from DCRA



    Short-Term Rental_Guide + FAQ Template V5 12-28-2021 (dc.gov)



    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · DC MD, VA & NV · Member since 2014 · 512 posts · 292 votes
    4y

    I'm curious how many here on BP have successfully obtained their short-term rental license for your DC AirBnb? I ended up listing my property that I've owned for 20 years for sale. It's been a good rental and I didn't want to go long-term again so as to not have to deal with TOPA when I sold.  -Marian

  • Homeowner · Washington, DC · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Marian Huish:

    I'm curious how many here on BP have successfully obtained their short-term rental license for your DC AirBnb? I ended up listing my property that I've owned for 20 years for sale. It's been a good rental and I didn't want to go long-term again so as to not have to deal with TOPA when I sold.  -Marian


     I obtained my license on deadline day (AirBnB actually changed my minimum night stay to 30d). It took some time as I had to prove eligibility for the homestead deduction. I bought the house June 2021, so part of the hurdles and delays came from not having DC taxes on file. My airbnb is in my basement and I live above it, so I am 100% in compliance - a new feat for me! I do have concerns about options for when I move from this home. 

  • Real Estate Broker · DC MD, VA & NV · Member since 2014 · 512 posts · 292 votes
    4y

    My understanding @Tracy Burns is that when you move from the home, you will no longer be eligible for the Homestead Deduction and will, therefore, be no longer eligible to have your STR license according to DC's current law. Enjoy it while you can! Marian

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.