Anyone want to join me for the bathroom remodeling workshop?

Anyone want to join me for the bathroom remodeling workshop?

Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes

Hi BP'ers:

I've been taking contractor/maintenance oriented classes through Fairfax County Adult Education. If you are a rehabber who is NOT a contractor or if you're somewhat new, these classes might be something to consider. I feel they have really elevated my confidence level in learning the processes and the lingo when speaking with contractors. There is a 10 week, 3 hr. once per week bathroom remodeling workshop starting Wed. Oct. 4th....you build an actual bathroom. This one always sells out. They also offer plumbing, electrical, trim, HVAC, drywall and a host of other classes. I am having trouble inserting the link. If you are interested to go aceclasses.fcps.edu and look for the adult enrichment, do it yourself section. I have really enjoyed the 5 week introductory plumbing class. Would love to see rehabbers and investors in my bathroom remodeling class! 

7Reply
30 views

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y
    What a great resource. Thanks for sharing Chris D.
  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Carson Sweezy: Hi Carson. Thanks. Which REIA's/meetups are you going to these days?

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10y
    Chris D. - do you know of anyone that has take. The class ? I am curious about it and if it's for DIYers or to explain how a bathroom is remodeled (for newbie remodelers) as it says the class builds a bathroom and is hands on (but curious how hands on) Interested in the class but wondering if people have more info on it.
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Chris Seveney: Hi Chris. I do know of one person who has taken the class. I have taken a few of their other classes and have gotten a lot of benefit from them. I'm taking the 9 hour tile class this coming Tues./Wed. and Thursday. By the end of it, I will likely know how to estimate square footage and be able to speak intelligently with a contractor about the tile job requirements. Feel free to check in with me to see how I felt about it. From what I understand, you build an actual bathroom on site at the Bryant Center in Alexandria. A woman I know who has taken it told me it refreshed her soldering skills so that sounded fairly hands on to me. I've signed up for it but it doesn't start until Oct. 4th. I can be the BP guinea pig and people can check in with me. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Chris D. Hey Chris. I still attend Capital REI whenever I can. Our office just started hosting free events too, so I stay busy! What events have you been going to?

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Carson Sweezy:

    I have been hanging out in Baltimore a lot but am trying to get a handle on the good REIA's here in Virginia. I have been to Jessica Swingle's Real Estate Investing Roundtable that happens Friday mornings and I go to Caza group meetup. Let me know if you are going and maybe I'll join you at Capital REIA.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Chris D. Which event in Baltimore have you been going to?

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Carson Sweezy

    Hi Carson: I have been going to Rehabber Pro and I attend BWI meetup. Next week I am going to Caza meetup in Baltimore because the subject is buy and hold. There is a guy who is into short term rentals and from what I understand he is doing well with them. There seems to be so much opportunity in Baltimore but you have to know the lay of the land. I'll probably do a flip in the next months. Have a mentor walking me through the process.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Arm, MD · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    @Chris D. - I just checked out the CAZA meeting next week. Looks great. But I couldn't tell if they are free or paid meetings. Do you know? Thanks!

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Julie Hassett

    Hi Julie. I have never attended the Baltimore Caza meetup so I am not sure. For me the content might be pretty valuable. The meetup group founder apparently has quite a bit of experience in the rental market... both short term rentals and long term so I'm going to be at this months and next months meetup (next month is property management). Noticed you are into mobile home parks. You HAVE to check out Kevin Bupp's podcast....he's great and mobile home parks are his area of expertise! He has 2 podcasts so look for The Mobile Home Park Investing Podcast!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Chris D.  Those sound interesting, I didnt know CAZA held Maryland meet-ups too. Short term as in Air BnB style?

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Carson Sweezy Hi Carson. Yes. From what I understand the Baltimore guy is crushing it with short term rentals  (Airbnb, VRBO)  but he may not be discussing that at the meeting. I will let you know if you are interested. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2014 · 328 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    Sounds good @Chris D. I have some friends that are doing short term rentals as well, @Sam Valme  

    Interested in hearing more about what he talks about. 

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Carson Sweezy. I will let you know if I find out anything useful. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Arm, MD · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    @Chris D. - Look forward to meeting you there next week at CAZA. I'll look for you and introduce myself. Thanks for the tip on the MHP podcast too!

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Julie Hassett

    Sounds good....hope to see you there!

  • Investor · Mount Airy, MD · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Hi, Are the meetings listed somewhere? I am looking for networking opportunities. thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Arm, MD · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    @Ken Robinson Go to meetup.com and search "REIA Baltimore" and "CAZA Baltimore". Also, here is the full REIA calendar. You can check out Rehabber Pro in Baltimore as well. Hope to meet you at one of them!

  • Investor · Mount Airy, MD · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Thanks! @Julie Hassett

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Ken Robinson Hi Ken. I attend Rehabber Pro regularly...they host a terrific meetup. Next meeting is Sat. Aug. 13th. Hope to see you there!

  • Investor · Mount Airy, MD · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Chris D. What is the objective for a "Rehabber Pro" meeting? Who attends and topics for discussion? 

  • Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    @Ken Robinson Hi. The meetings at Rehabber Pro often feature a speaker or topic. Last month, they had a local stager come in to discuss the benefits of staging. Another month they held a meeting at Home Depot to discuss the discount programs available for rehabbers. One month they had a Baltimore City Code Enforcement Inspector to attend and explain how the City deals with Code Violations.  Often times, the meetings are held at a home that is being renovated....they discuss how they acquired the property, the scope of work on the project and the projected renovation costs. They get all kinds of people at the meetings from newbies, to very experienced wholesalers, to experienced rehabbers. They normally to not have "gurus" pitching products at their meetings but they do offer their own Mastermind group and coaching program. There are normally around 70 people at the meetings. Hope that helps.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.