Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 23 votes
We are going to be putting another rental on the market soon in the Capital Region. I read a lot of different posts about how to handle laundry and lawn care but I was wondering what was standard in this area.
The house had a washer/dryer when we bought it, our other rental didn't so they had to provide their own. Since we have one, I am wondering if we should leave it and offer it to the renters. My concern is having to maintain it, I saw some landlords put language in the lease saying that the washer/dryer are a perk but that maintenance won't be preformed but I wasn't sure if that was okay in NY. My other concern is water, if we let them use it I was thinking about a cap for the water bill but I have no idea what a good figure for that would be...
The yard is very small and we inherited a lawn mower so I thought about just making that available for them. I think sometimes people "rent" the lawnmower to the tenants?
I am just trying to figure out what the simplest way to handle this while being financially smart! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
I charge $50/month, which is a total bargain. I only charge this little because the pair I rent was left behind from an eviction and I have rented them for 3 years with only $120 in repairs, so they have paid me dividends many times over.
The apartment complexes in the area get about $125/month.
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
You are correct in that by providing the washer/dryer you are taking responsibility for the repairs as well as shouldering an increased water use (which you probably pay for).
I use a lease addendum so that tenants need my permission to have their own W/D. The document transfers the liability for damage to them.
I rent W/D to my tenants. I would recommend this, since their existence creates more work and expense for you, with little upside without the additional income to offset.
Regarding lawns...I will assume this is a SFR. In that case I would use lease language that transfers the responsibility of lawn care to the tenant. I would NOT provide a lawnmower, even though it came free - since this creates a liability for you.
I would give the tenant a choice: (a) they are responsible for their own lawn care / snow removal, or (b) the landlord will take on that responsibility with an additional monthly charge of X. I would also put in that if these jobs are the tenant's responsibility, and they don't clear snow from the sidewalk or keep the grass below 6 inches in height, you will take over that responsibility and start billing them monthly. I would build in some arbitrage on the monthly fee to incentivize them to take the responsibility themselves as well as billing for your time, as you will no doubt have to manage the company that you hire.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 23 votes
6y
@Wesley W. Thanks for the quick response! The lease addendum is a great idea. What's your typical washer/dryer fee?
As for the lawn, I was thinking the same thing about the lawn mower and liability. I like the idea of giving them the choice. Last time around I didn't do that and they like to complain about when the lawn guy comes so giving them the choice sounds like a great idea. I really appreciate your input!
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
I charge $50/month, which is a total bargain. I only charge this little because the pair I rent was left behind from an eviction and I have rented them for 3 years with only $120 in repairs, so they have paid me dividends many times over.
The apartment complexes in the area get about $125/month.
Real Estate Agent · Albany/Schenectady/Troy, NY · Member since 2016 · 74 posts · 35 votes
6y
I dont think there is a standard, it's all case by case. I can't see charging extra for water for laundry, this should be a pretty minor cost anyways in the scheme of things. You will attract more tenants and more rent by providing laundry hookups or machines, especially in a single family. It seems to be a mixed bag whether you get any benefit by leaving the machines, some people prefer to bring their own anyways. I say if they are new leave them as a benefit, if they are old sell them or get a scrapper to haul them out.
I charge $50/month, which is a total bargain. I only charge this little because the pair I rent was left behind from an eviction and I have rented them for 3 years with only $120 in repairs, so they have paid me dividends many times over.
The apartment complexes in the area get about $125/month.
Pretty good deal since you can buy a new one for $500-600. Pays for itself in a year.
Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
I have washer dryer left behind, and advised tenants they are responsible for repairs, written into the lease.
As for lawn care, I had the property since 1984, and had tenant handling it, and landscaper doing it. For the last 15 years, had my own landscaper handling it even when tenants ask of they can do it sometimes. I said no. When tenants did it, had neighbors complaining, neighbors reporting it to the town, town got after me, threatening fines, and I had to go to inspect. Once it was almost 2 feet high, and the tenant was suffering from depression. All nearby homes had neatly trimmed lawns, mine was a holy mess, and if I was a neighbor, would have a heart attack. When I went out to inspect, found he didn't have the energy to shave and get a hair cut either. Beard was a foot long. His girlfriend who lived with him was hospitalized and died a few days later, triggering the depression.
Had to go out and find a landscaper.
The landscaper I found and now used live a few blocks away, does landscaping for my neighbors as well, and if he didn't do a good job, neighbors would let him know directly. Winter time, he does shoveling when the SFR is vacant, and put up the debris when tenants go on vacation. Trims the shrubs, help when the exterminator identifying where insects infiltrate the house etc.
When tenants do mowing, most of them don't bother to do edging. They just cut the grass. No spring or fall cleanup either. As the property is now mortgage free, I cash flow over $1,500/month anyway, even covering mowing, the $150 it cost me a month is well worth it, considering the hassle to make $150 more.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 23 votes
6y
Thanks everyone! I'm going to do the lease addendum for the washer/dryer and charge a fee if they want to use them. I'm going to see how much lawn care would be for the property and decide whether or not to include it. I appreciate all the responses!
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 20 votes
6y
I agree with @Frank Chin, I don't trust a tenant to maintain the lawn maintenance/snow removal, not worth the hassle and possible fines. Because I house hack I maintain the landscaping and snow removal but will most likely hire it out when I move. Most quotes I've gotten are around $100/month for lawn care (mowing/edging every two weeks), but you might be able to find a better deal if you know someone. As for laundry, it's really personal preference. Wouldn't charge for water as it's negligible. Our unit has a gas dryer so I would be nervous having a tenant do their own hook up, we just provide the machine and adjust monthly rent accordingly. Good luck!
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 23 votes
6y
We lucked out and found a tenant who had her own washer/dryer to bring to the unit. The house is a bungalow with very little grass so we have currently made the tenant responsible for it and we shall see how that goes.