Investing in Middletown, NY and surrounding area

Investing in Middletown, NY and surrounding area

Jared W SmithBusiness Member
Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes

Hello all 

I am looking to hop back on the investment horse after a rocky apartment rental which I happily unloaded last year and COVID-19 monkey wrench. 

I am looking in the Middletown, NY area for a multi-family investment property. 2-4 family. I’ve heard that the school system affects the desire-ability. What are the best areas to look? What about nearby Port Jervis? Any other areas worth looking in? 

Any advice? Thanks in advance.. 

Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
0Reply
40 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Middletown, NY · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jared W Smith

    I'm a newbie investor in the area. Port Jervis is a great area, right next to the train into NYC, good schools, lovely properties, plenty of jobs.

    I have some motivated seller leads in the area if you're interested.

  • Rental Property Investor · Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    Different areas are good depending on different goals. School district might matter to some investors but not to others. Do you plan on self managing or hiring a PM? Either way, I've found the toughest part of investing in smaller cities or towns is finding team members (especially PMs). There are just less choices for places with smaller populations. Orange County Investors has a bunch of folks investing in Middletown. 

  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    OP
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Danielle Hinton:

    @Jared W Smith

    I'm a newbie investor in the area. Port Jervis is a great area, right next to the train into NYC, good schools, lovely properties, plenty of jobs.

    I have some motivated seller leads in the area if you're interested.

    Thank you Danielle. I will further my research of that area. 

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Jared W SmithBusiness Member
    OP
    Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 682 posts · 476 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Samantha Cash:

    Different areas are good depending on different goals. School district might matter to some investors but not to others. Do you plan on self managing or hiring a PM? Either way, I've found the toughest part of investing in smaller cities or towns is finding team members (especially PMs). There are just less choices for places with smaller populations. Orange County Investors has a bunch of folks investing in Middletown. 

    Good points Samantha. Thank you. 
    I have relatives that live in the area, so I have some form of boots on the ground. Probably self manage depending on unit count. 

    Architect Owl PLLC521 Reviews
  • Bob ReinhardBusiness Member
    Lender · Patterson, NY · Member since 2017 · 488 posts · 186 votes
    5y
    Howdy.
    Sorry i am late to the party.
    I'd suggest that you reach out to Beth Whitney who is active in that part of Orange County and can offer constructive info and well versed in the investment side.
    She can be reached in the 845 area at 2999446.
    As an intro, mention that Putnam Bob gave her your # since she is not on BP
    Much success!
    Bob
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.