neighborhood in Richmond - Shooting At Shockoe Bottom

neighborhood in Richmond - Shooting At Shockoe Bottom

Rental Property Investor · Tysons, VA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 45 votes

I am checking into Richmond for investment purpose. 

Just read news. Is Shockoe Bottom D area? Shoot is near E Main St and 17th st area, very close to the train station.

How about following locations:

Jackson Ward,

Monroe Ward,

Church hill, 

Union Hill, 

Church hill north?

Is musemn Disctrict better or Fan district?

Thank you!

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

Shockoe Bottom is a huge nightclub area. Knuckleheads go out, get drunk and do dumb things. Not all nightclub goers are knuckleheads, of course, but alcohol makes people do dumb things. Other than that it's a fine place.

Museum District and the Fan are fantastic areas. High rent, good mix of working professional and college student renters, lots of amenities and fun activities in the area, solid old construction buildings. Best Part of town. I lived in those areas until recently.

Church Hill is fantastic as well. Church Hill North is gentrifying quickly, and is very block-by-block. We still have a lot of housing projects up there, so the gentrification can only go so far (realistically)

Jackson & Monroe Wards are a lot of younger people and college students.

Union hill has gone up a lot over this cycle. Still headed upward.

I host a local monthly networking event which you can find in the BP events section. If you want to learn more specifics about the market and start your deal flow, come join us!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    Shockoe Bottom is a huge nightclub area. Knuckleheads go out, get drunk and do dumb things. Not all nightclub goers are knuckleheads, of course, but alcohol makes people do dumb things. Other than that it's a fine place.

    Museum District and the Fan are fantastic areas. High rent, good mix of working professional and college student renters, lots of amenities and fun activities in the area, solid old construction buildings. Best Part of town. I lived in those areas until recently.

    Church Hill is fantastic as well. Church Hill North is gentrifying quickly, and is very block-by-block. We still have a lot of housing projects up there, so the gentrification can only go so far (realistically)

    Jackson & Monroe Wards are a lot of younger people and college students.

    Union hill has gone up a lot over this cycle. Still headed upward.

    I host a local monthly networking event which you can find in the BP events section. If you want to learn more specifics about the market and start your deal flow, come join us!

  • Arlington, VA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Hi there,

    I've been visiting Richmond to check out neighborhoods etc...and I agree with what Taylor said. I've actually heard the same thing about that area and it's going to be any place with clubs/nightlife etc...It's a city so you have to be smart/safe just like in any city.

    There are a lot of up-and-coming neighborhoods in RVA where there seems to be a lot of great investment opportunities.

    I presently live in Northern VA but I really like the vibe of Richmond. It's got both a city and country side to it.

    Anyway, I think you're on the right track and, if you haven't already, I'd suggest spending a weekend down there to get a feel for it. There are often a lot of things going on due to the college scene.

    Good luck.
  • Rental Property Investor · Tysons, VA · Member since 2015 · 73 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    @Taylor L. Thanks so much. How can I find meetup from BP? I am coming to Richmond this Friday. 2nd time. Most I am looking at are mixed use.

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Jasmine Hu Events can be found by going to the "Network" toolbar at the top of BiggerPockets, then to Events in the dropdown menu. 

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Jasmine Hu where did you end up investing? I'm just starting my search in Union Hill, Church Hill North, Fan District, and the Museum District for. B+ or better property and neighborhood for longer term buy and hold rental. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks @Taylor L. for your helpful post.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.