The world through the eyes of a Newbie

The world through the eyes of a Newbie

Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes

Do you ever stop and think back about when you first got into Real Estate? Or even before that when you were just thinking about getting into Real Estate? What would you go back and tell that naïve person?

When I think back about my foray into Real Estate I would tell myself not to chase down those rabbit holes. I remember how much there was to learn (and still to learn) and how so many different options sounded attractive. That is why the guru’s do so well selling their products. They pitch a dream of fast wealth and people are lining up at the door to buy the dream.

There were wholesaling adventures for me that never were going to pan out. Countless hours wasted on hold trying to negotiate short sales that the banks had no interest in doing. Subject-to properties that I took over and should never have gotten involved in. Fix and flips that taught me the hard knocks road of construction and the incredible costs associated with it. Renters that had more experience being tenants than I had being a landlord and took full advantage. Days wasted listening to guru’s trying to sell their product that I was never going to buy. Endless meetings with sellers who were not motivated. The list goes on and on.

The advice I give people entering the business is pick an aspect and stick with it. Ignore the other shiny objects that will inevitably appear. Doing 5 tasks at 20% does not add up to 100%. ;)

4Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 269 votes
5y

I tell potential investors to accept that they WILL make mistake$.  (Spelled with a $ on purpose...)  So many people are afraid to make the first deal because the investment amounts are usually significant (at least to new investors) and they know that they are still novices.  I tell them to get the best deal they can with the knowledge they currently have, and to accept that they will end up regretting some aspects of the deal.  Treat each mistake or regret as a le$$on learned.  Really not a lot different than paying tuition at college.  But making that first deal, and paying for those lessons is how they move from novice to seasoned investor status.  The next investment will better, and the one after that better still.  

(Within reason, if you, as a novice, know the best deal you can currently get is a bad deal, then it almost certainly is a bad deal, and you shouldn't take it.) 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2018 · 255 posts · 118 votes
    5y

    @Scott Lennon

    Good advice! I'm fairly new still, I currently have a couple properties with a few years in the game, but I would tell my past self to read and take notes on books about the things you're about to get into. And to stick with it, the more you get the ball rolling, the harder it is to stop.

    The hardest step to take is the first one.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Excellent advice for a newbie who has been a little distracted lately by the wide array of  advice. Am I right that Richmond has become a tough market or am I too green to see the deals? 

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed Great points. I think as someone who's new to real estate the shiny object syndrome is real and contributes to analysis paralysis. Right now I've been focusing on building the foundation of my business and getting my team/contacts established. Practicing running numbers has been critical in learning what a good deal looks like. But all of this in preparation for finding a single family home 3/2 900-1300 sq ft in the greater Richmond area at around 70%ARV minus rehab.

    While I'm trying to network with as many wholesalers and investors as I can, the dilemma is that the way to find the best deals is often to start going directly to the seller myself via direct mail, door knocking, etc especially in this market. But I recognize this isn't where my strong point is right now and I'm spending my time continuing to build relationships and making sure I can execute the rehab and flip/rental end of the deal. Will this change in the future? Probably as I continue to grow and look to take lead generation to the next level. But I figure I don't necessarily need to start approaching deals like a wholesaler right now otherwise I'd be spreading myself too thin and contributing to the shiny object syndrome. I just wonder if this is pretty common for people starting out

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y


    @Tom Hacku 

    Very common. I would suggest that you do start trying to get in front of sellers and trying to get deals. Until you actually start doing deals are you really in the business? It is a question I recently posed on Facebook and had some interesting opinions.

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    @Kyle Keller Stick with it is great advice than many people could use. It is funny how once you get going things seem to take on a momentum of their own

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 269 votes
    5y

    I tell potential investors to accept that they WILL make mistake$.  (Spelled with a $ on purpose...)  So many people are afraid to make the first deal because the investment amounts are usually significant (at least to new investors) and they know that they are still novices.  I tell them to get the best deal they can with the knowledge they currently have, and to accept that they will end up regretting some aspects of the deal.  Treat each mistake or regret as a le$$on learned.  Really not a lot different than paying tuition at college.  But making that first deal, and paying for those lessons is how they move from novice to seasoned investor status.  The next investment will better, and the one after that better still.  

    (Within reason, if you, as a novice, know the best deal you can currently get is a bad deal, then it almost certainly is a bad deal, and you shouldn't take it.) 

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 55 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed It seems to be same idea as going out there and making it happen as opposed to waiting around for something to come through. Getting a hands on experience is the best form of education and if I want to really learn the entire process, first get out there and find a deal and don't wait for anyone else to do it for me. Probably what I needed to hear

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    @Tom Hacku Please keep me updated on how it goes.

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    @George Pauley That is sound advice.

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    @Rashida Gray Yes and No. It is always going to be tough on some level but that normally makes another side of it easier. For example it may be tougher to find a deal right now but once you have a rehabbed house it is much easier to get it sold. Give and take.

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Great perspective!! Thank you I needed that little bit of inspiration. 

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I have done exactly one thing right:  buy a fixer house in an amazing location as a primary residence and through the experience learn what you need to know about real estate finance, the cost and pain of renovations (I recall asking the inspector what dry rot looked like and him poking a hole in a beam with his finger "like that") and the value of appreciation as a financing tool.   I take no personal credit for this decision - dumb luck.   

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @George Pauley

    That is great advice for someone like me. I keep holding back because I make excuses about being scared, something will go wrong, or I need someone to show me the ropes when I should just pull the trigger and see where it takes me. Thank you 

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 269 votes
    5y
  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @George Pauley

    Thank you for responding. I know this is what I want to pursue so i'll stay the course as long as I can. Thank you for your advice. 

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Darius Ogloza:

    I have done exactly one thing right:  buy a fixer house in an amazing location as a primary residence and through the experience learn what you need to know about real estate finance, the cost and pain of renovations (I recall asking the inspector what dry rot looked like and him poking a hole in a beam with his finger "like that") and the value of appreciation as a financing tool.   I take no personal credit for this decision - dumb luck.   

     

    I’d rather be lucky than good. :)P

  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, Va. · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 56 votes
    5y

    @George Pauley For me it seems as if every decision was an absolute bone headed money losing mistake.... Until it isn't. I would venture to guess most investors feel this way for a large part of their careers. I use that "college tuition" explanation a lot. I think I stole it from Robert Kiyosaki.

  • Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    That’s a genuine advise. I bought my first rental property few months ago in Richmond but didn’t run numbers rightly. The whole rehab was pain in head. Though haven’t lost money in deal but didn’t get what expected. Still positive to move forward with new deal but now with some experience and learning. 

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 305 posts · 199 votes
    5y

    @Farheen Naveed Hey, if you didn't lose money and came away with experience and lessons learned I would count that as a win.

  • Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Account Closed it feels better to hear. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.