Why did Bigger Pockets choose RentRedi?

Why did Bigger Pockets choose RentRedi?

Henry PaschallPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes

I was excited that Bigger Pockets was partnering with what I thought would be a robust and powerful property management site for small landlords. You know one where you get the awesomeness of steessa.com and innago.com combined into one platform for free vice 2 free sites that you wish were 1 free site. I really liked the episode they put on for RentRedi. I was just really disappointed  when I actually set up a few properties and tested it. If you guys have some "this software is awesome" I would really like to hear it.

That just is not the case for me when I used RentRedi, and here are my top 3  issues with their site.

     1. You can upload your rental lease agreements and get them signed just like most free software out there, even zillow has this and they are on my "dont use this software for manangement list". But, you can not have editable PDFs that pull tenant, property and landlord information into the lease which is a must have if you have never had the option, that is 1 reason why I like Innago. If you have never had this option picture this. You have your lease and you have all the portions hilighet that you need to update for each tenant, Name, property address, rent ect... and instead of having to type that data in for every lease it just automatically pulls it from your property and tenant information that you have already put into the site. You verify it and send it to the new tenant to review and sign.

2. You don't have the full control over and can not customize your rental applications by specific questions you would like in your application, if you have an LLC there is no option to put a log, no options to make your lease questions required / not required ect. I like to have the option to customize the questions based on my property, some questions you would want to ask for say one state you may not want to ask in another state. Or say it is a personal property so I am renting it out in my own name vice one of my properties I would be renting out in my LLC name. Also allowing for certin questions to be required based on information provided such as if they say they have a pet then they would be required to answer the following X amount of questions vice if they didnt have a pet then the questions would be not required.

     3. You don't actually have a robust expense tracking unless you pay for their 3rd party provider its not expensive but still not free. This just means that I would still be using Stessa to track all my expenses vice their third party which is not really any different than what I am doing now.

Thanks for reading the "Angry Senior Chief" comments.

6Reply
251 views

Most Popular Reply

Grant ShipmanPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Estes Park, CO · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 1k+ votes
3y

@Henry Paschall- I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing.  I have reviewed every PMC software that I'm aware of (except 3 newish ones), and I am still sold on RentecDirect.  They have free ACH rent payments, CC payments for a low processing fee, owner & tenant portals, customization, marketing, online signatures, online apps, online screening, and more.  Their customer service is the main reason I chose them (over similar like Biuldium for example).  I think RTD is the best for 10 or more properties. Less than 10, I recommend Apartments.com or equivalent freeware. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    understand your frustration, have issues with the software we pay a lot for

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    I have been using it for almost a year and my biggest frustration is the delay in the payout. It's never before the 6th of the month. Today is the 7th and I still haven't received my rents that were paid on 1/1/23. 

  • Grant ShipmanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Estes Park, CO · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Henry Paschall- I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing.  I have reviewed every PMC software that I'm aware of (except 3 newish ones), and I am still sold on RentecDirect.  They have free ACH rent payments, CC payments for a low processing fee, owner & tenant portals, customization, marketing, online signatures, online apps, online screening, and more.  Their customer service is the main reason I chose them (over similar like Biuldium for example).  I think RTD is the best for 10 or more properties. Less than 10, I recommend Apartments.com or equivalent freeware. 

  • Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 269 posts · 135 votes
    3y

    Totally agree with you! I don't understand it.

  • Wade GentryPro Member
    Inspector · Enid, OK · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    I listen to the podcast every week and that episode sold me too. I figured I’d better sign up for something, even if I don’t like it, for the sake of making that first step. I could be wrong, but I don’t recall there being extra fees for some of their services. I have two business friends who manage 100+ properties and one uses Buildium and the other Rentmanager.  I’ve seen them and wish I could afford them, even though they are way more than I probably need for my 14 properties. You get what you pay for…

  • Phillip AustinPro Member
    Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2023 · 236 posts · 204 votes
    3y

    @Henry Paschall If you're ready to move on from RentRedi, look into Buildium. I know a handful of professional PMs who have switched from RentRedi to Buildium and they have nothing but positive things to say. It's not a perfect software by any means but definitely a step up from RentRedi.

    If you ever venture above 50 properties, I highly recommend AppFolio. Although AppFolio is more expensive than most, it's the best accounting software I've worked with plus they have great maintenance, leasing and underwriting features included.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    3y

    I tried rentredi and it isn't good. 

    It is easy to understand why BP went with them. The pricing of the Pro membership isn't really worth it. Partner with RR because their price is pretty cheap. I highly doubt 90% of the Pro subscribers here really use so much of the reports and download agreements. It is easier to convince users here to join Pro to get "premium" features on BP and also have RentRedi.

    I use Buildium, AppFolio, Yardi Voyager, and QBO(do not like this one at all).

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Miller McSwainPro Member
    Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 261 posts · 233 votes
    3y

    I had intentions to switch to RentRedi from Innago SOLEY because of the maintenance feature they have. For additional fees, you can have a 3rd party handle maintenance calls, handle the maintenance issue, and bill you afterward. You can even enable this feature temporarily while you are on vacation.

    I tested RentRedi out and also couldn't make the switch because the lease signing lacked pre-poulated fields. I was unwilling to sacrifice this feature that I love in Innago. I also disliked that I couldn't make a custom application, but I could let this slide since I require that applicants fill out a custom Google Form anyway.

    I'm hopeful that they will address these issues soon! Until then, I'll stick with Innago which has served me very well 😀

  • Grant ShipmanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Estes Park, CO · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Phillip Austin:

    @Henry Paschall If you're ready to move on from RentRedi, look into Buildium. I know a handful of professional PMs who have switched from RentRedi to Buildium and they have nothing but positive things to say. It's not a perfect software by any means but definitely a step up from RentRedi.

    If you ever venture above 50 properties, I highly recommend AppFolio. Although AppFolio is more expensive than most, it's the best accounting software I've worked with plus they have great maintenance, leasing and underwriting features included.


    I'd like to here more why you recommend AppFolio after 50 properties- or any number.  I can't speak to Buildium, as I haven't researched them for a while, but back in 2017 they were almost exactly the same as Rentec Direct.  Rentmanager and AppFolio are a fail IMO b/c they charge monthly and then they charge residents (or PMC's) per rent payment- this skyrocketed their actual costs over RTD and Bldm b/c they allowed renters to pay for free w/ACH.  But my question is sincere, as maybe I was mistaken w/my research- what makes you recommend AF?   

  • Grant ShipmanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Estes Park, CO · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon W.:

    I tried rentredi and it isn't good. 

    It is easy to understand why BP went with them. The pricing of the Pro membership isn't really worth it. Partner with RR because their price is pretty cheap. I highly doubt 90% of the Pro subscribers here really use so much of the reports and download agreements. It is easier to convince users here to join Pro to get "premium" features on BP and also have RentRedi.

    I use Buildium, AppFolio, Yardi Voyager, and QBO(do not like this one at all).


     I enjoyed what you wrote.  I'm currently emailing BP about why they went w/RR and they simply put me in touch w/RR, which....was a bit odd b/c I have nothing against a company doing its bet (RR), but I do have questions for a company (BP) choosing an inferior product to promote.  Do you mind sharing w/you use multiple PMS's?  

  • Grant ShipmanPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Estes Park, CO · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Miller McSwain:

    I had intentions to switch to RentRedi from Innago SOLEY because of the maintenance feature they have. For additional fees, you can have a 3rd party handle maintenance calls, handle the maintenance issue, and bill you afterward. You can even enable this feature temporarily while you are on vacation.

    I tested RentRedi out and also couldn't make the switch because the lease signing lacked pre-poulated fields. I was unwilling to sacrifice this feature that I love in Innago. I also disliked that I couldn't make a custom application, but I could let this slide since I require that applicants fill out a custom Google Form anyway.

    I'm hopeful that they will address these issues soon! Until then, I'll stick with Innago which has served me very well 😀


     Oh killer!  I've never checked out their software, as I've never heard of them.  I would love to hear everything you have to share on your experience w/this software, and the feature of them covering maintenance calls.  Do you mind sharing specific/rough pricing for such calls: 1) small things like a drywall patch, 2) to bigger things like a furnace/water heater repair, 3) time-sensitive things like a burst pipe or water-heater out, 4) anything else.  I'm very interested to learn from you. 

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Grant Shipman:
    Quote from @Simon W.:

    I tried rentredi and it isn't good. 

    It is easy to understand why BP went with them. The pricing of the Pro membership isn't really worth it. Partner with RR because their price is pretty cheap. I highly doubt 90% of the Pro subscribers here really use so much of the reports and download agreements. It is easier to convince users here to join Pro to get "premium" features on BP and also have RentRedi.

    I use Buildium, AppFolio, Yardi Voyager, and QBO(do not like this one at all).


     I enjoyed what you wrote.  I'm currently emailing BP about why they went w/RR and they simply put me in touch w/RR, which....was a bit odd b/c I have nothing against a company doing its bet (RR), but I do have questions for a company (BP) choosing an inferior product to promote.  Do you mind sharing w/you use multiple PMS's?  


    Well I am an accountant that started with using Yardi Enterprise (discontinued and it is ancient software). I used Yardi Voyager 6s, 7s, & Genesis and loved it. When I worked for Trump, the company was on a 20+ year old software, MDS and didn't really like it because it wasn't accounting friendly. I use different platforms due to my clients.

    Right now, I am a CFO for a PM firm and uses AppFolio & QB. I personally subscribed to Buildium for my clients that are in the startup stage so they do not get killed on the subscriptions.

    AppFolio with the features we are using, we easily paying $85K a year for it.

    Yardi Voyager is customizable (best accounting platform hands down at least for me) rought $12K - $20K a year depending on what modules you want.

    Buildium - I am paying roughly $1200/year without the additional ePay features and stuff.

    QBO - I am a certified Proadvisor so I can give discounts to clients. I try to steer them away from QBO but sometimes they are already an existing subscriber and have too much info incorporated and to do the transitioning for them will be costly. Plus I use QBO for non related real estate clients.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Miller McSwainPro Member
    Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 261 posts · 233 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Grant Shipman:
    Quote from @Miller McSwain:

    I had intentions to switch to RentRedi from Innago SOLEY because of the maintenance feature they have. For additional fees, you can have a 3rd party handle maintenance calls, handle the maintenance issue, and bill you afterward. You can even enable this feature temporarily while you are on vacation.

    I tested RentRedi out and also couldn't make the switch because the lease signing lacked pre-poulated fields. I was unwilling to sacrifice this feature that I love in Innago. I also disliked that I couldn't make a custom application, but I could let this slide since I require that applicants fill out a custom Google Form anyway.

    I'm hopeful that they will address these issues soon! Until then, I'll stick with Innago which has served me very well 😀


     Oh killer!  I've never checked out their software, as I've never heard of them.  I would love to hear everything you have to share on your experience w/this software, and the feature of them covering maintenance calls.  Do you mind sharing specific/rough pricing for such calls: 1) small things like a drywall patch, 2) to bigger things like a furnace/water heater repair, 3) time-sensitive things like a burst pipe or water-heater out, 4) anything else.  I'm very interested to learn from you. 


     I haven't used the maintenance feature, that is just what tempted me to make the switch. I'm still interested in switching if RentRedi can address the issues I mentioned.
    I just looked though, and the maintenance coordination costs $25/month and $12/property.
    Then, they will handle all maintenance calls, hire someone to address the issue, and bill you for labor+materials 👍

  • Real Estate Agent · Alexandria Virginia & Washington DC · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    Have you tried Rentastic?

  • Realtor | Product Manager at BiggerPockets · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2022 · 118 posts · 127 votes
    3y

    @Henry Paschall ....i am a product manager here at BiggerPockets and appreciate the feedback...we are always looking to hear from users like yourself to continue identifying ways we can improve the user experience. I sent you a connection request and a DM to set up time to chat.

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    @Henry Paschall I can't agree with you more! We have been using Innago for years now and the software really has some amazing features even though it is free. Their customer support team is excellent and my account manager there is almost my friend at this point haha. I'm not sure why BP went with RentRedi because I am not a fan of their software either. 

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Mary Smith I agree! I know my account manager pretty well also. He has made my life easier and also has added recommended features. I know thier free but I am not sure for how much longer. They will start to transition just like Stessa did this month.

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nate Slappey III:

    @Henry Paschall ....i am a product manager here at BiggerPockets and appreciate the feedback...we are always looking to hear from users like yourself to continue identifying ways we can improve the user experience. I sent you a connection request and a DM to set up time to chat.


     Just sent you a DM

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Allen:

    Have you tried Rentastic?


     I have not, are they a 1 stop shop for long term rentals?

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Grant Shipman:

    @Henry Paschall- I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing.  I have reviewed every PMC software that I'm aware of (except 3 newish ones), and I am still sold on RentecDirect.  They have free ACH rent payments, CC payments for a low processing fee, owner & tenant portals, customization, marketing, online signatures, online apps, online screening, and more.  Their customer service is the main reason I chose them (over similar like Biuldium for example).  I think RTD is the best for 10 or more properties. Less than 10, I recommend Apartments.com or equivalent freeware. 


     Sorry for the late reply, I have tried appartments.com they are on my do not use list. They took over the COZY.CO website which I liked that software and completely messed it up. Mostly due to the customer support and lack of features (instead of adding to cozy.co they removed a bunch of features). But if you are just looking for receiving money from tenants they are about as good as zillow or stripe or square lol

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Grant Shipman:
    Quote from @Simon W.:

    I tried rentredi and it isn't good. 

    It is easy to understand why BP went with them. The pricing of the Pro membership isn't really worth it. Partner with RR because their price is pretty cheap. I highly doubt 90% of the Pro subscribers here really use so much of the reports and download agreements. It is easier to convince users here to join Pro to get "premium" features on BP and also have RentRedi.

    I use Buildium, AppFolio, Yardi Voyager, and QBO(do not like this one at all).


     I enjoyed what you wrote.  I'm currently emailing BP about why they went w/RR and they simply put me in touch w/RR, which....was a bit odd b/c I have nothing against a company doing its bet (RR), but I do have questions for a company (BP) choosing an inferior product to promote.  Do you mind sharing w/you use multiple PMS's?  

    Currently, I use Innago for:

    - applications (you can personalize with intro's, logo, and their applications can be modified to questions to a specific property also)
    - listings (they automatically list on realtor.com and zumper, I also list on zillow and FB market Place)
    - tenant screening (background, credit and eviction history)
    - lease signing, addendum signing (this is a powerful one, they allow you to upload a PDF and leave it blank in areas that need to be changed, a good majority of the document is automatically filled in when you select a tenant so all you have to do is verify it and send)
    - Documents, (I use this for the walkthrough documents, photo's, anything that is specific to the renter) (I use stessa documents for property specific documents)
    - tenant communication (the only thing that I would like to add to their software is scheduled messages, for items like filter replacements ect... you can have a saved template that you just select the tenant and send which is quick.
    - maintenance requests (When your tenant or you put the maintenance in you can review it modify it ask questions then send it to your handyman via email with all the information so they can give you a quote on repairs) (it also tracks if they are still open or closed, you can make it where you or both you and the tenant can see the maintenance request which is good because some of the minor repairs I keep track of until tenant turnover so I can fix later)
    - rent payments, (they even allow for a security deposit return electronically vice mailing it)

    I use Stessa for all of my accounting.

    One thing I would like for Innago to add is a calendar option inside of the software. I use google calendar and asana for scheduling and tricking stuff like filter replacements, property taxes, and inspections ect... Rentrei kind of had this but it just linked with your google calendar and I would prefer it to be in the software and just link or be able to link some of the calendar to your personal / biz calendar.

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Phillip Austin:

    @Henry Paschall If you're ready to move on from RentRedi, look into Buildium. I know a handful of professional PMs who have switched from RentRedi to Buildium and they have nothing but positive things to say. It's not a perfect software by any means but definitely a step up from RentRedi.

    If you ever venture above 50 properties, I highly recommend AppFolio. Although AppFolio is more expensive than most, it's the best accounting software I've worked with plus they have great maintenance, leasing and underwriting features included.


    When I retire (3years) I hope to get up to 50 and I will look into larger PM software, but currently I only have 6 properties and still a small landlord. But I like to be efficient due to I have very little time to spend and I self-manage all of them.

  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon W.:
    Quote from @Grant Shipman:
    Quote from @Simon W.:

    I tried rentredi and it isn't good. 

    It is easy to understand why BP went with them. The pricing of the Pro membership isn't really worth it. Partner with RR because their price is pretty cheap. I highly doubt 90% of the Pro subscribers here really use so much of the reports and download agreements. It is easier to convince users here to join Pro to get "premium" features on BP and also have RentRedi.

    I use Buildium, AppFolio, Yardi Voyager, and QBO(do not like this one at all).


     I enjoyed what you wrote.  I'm currently emailing BP about why they went w/RR and they simply put me in touch w/RR, which....was a bit odd b/c I have nothing against a company doing its bet (RR), but I do have questions for a company (BP) choosing an inferior product to promote.  Do you mind sharing w/you use multiple PMS's?  


    Well I am an accountant that started with using Yardi Enterprise (discontinued and it is ancient software). I used Yardi Voyager 6s, 7s, & Genesis and loved it. When I worked for Trump, the company was on a 20+ year old software, MDS and didn't really like it because it wasn't accounting friendly. I use different platforms due to my clients.

    Right now, I am a CFO for a PM firm and uses AppFolio & QB. I personally subscribed to Buildium for my clients that are in the startup stage so they do not get killed on the subscriptions.

    AppFolio with the features we are using, we easily paying $85K a year for it.

    Yardi Voyager is customizable (best accounting platform hands down at least for me) rought $12K - $20K a year depending on what modules you want.

    Buildium - I am paying roughly $1200/year without the additional ePay features and stuff.

    QBO - I am a certified Proadvisor so I can give discounts to clients. I try to steer them away from QBO but sometimes they are already an existing subscriber and have too much info incorporated and to do the transitioning for them will be costly. Plus I use QBO for non related real estate clients.


     When I retire (3 years) I hope to get up to 50 and I will look into larger PM software like Buildium, but currently I only have 6 properties and still a small landlord. But I like to be efficient due to I have very little time to spend and I self-manage all of them.

  • Simon W.Business Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Lehigh Valley PA & New York City · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    3y

    @Henry Paschall my clients use stessa for just tracking, but the accounting aspect of it is not good at all. I have them my Buildium platform.

    Accounting Properties LLC
    View Page
    CFO LLC
    View Page
  • Henry PaschallPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 18 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Simon W.:

    @Henry Paschall my clients use stessa for just tracking, but the accounting aspect of it is not good at all. I have them my Buildium platform.


    What isn’t good in stessa? I am not a CPA by no means, I have a CPA that I am able to give them all of the data in the tax package that stessa offers and my CPA hasn’t said anything bad. Just Curious.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.