Tenant refuses to allow property manager to show property

Tenant refuses to allow property manager to show property

Wholesaler · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Good day Bigger Pockets Community, 

My tenant who is moving out June 30, 2017 refuses to allow my property manager to show my property to potential new tenants. He said that they just had a new born baby and do not want to be disturbed. As a fairly new mom, I totally understand but a few hours away from the property is still doable. 

I read the lease and I don't see where we can make him show the property. The property manager said that she has several people interested in viewing the property. I recommended doing an open house for a few hours on a Sunday. He's not open to anything and its a bit frustrating because I may possible lose out on new tenants and a few months rent because he's not willing to show the property. Naturally, I don't want to burn any bridges because he's military and a bad review from him could hurt my rating as a rental property for military families.

What do you recommend that I do? 

By the way this property is located in Raeford, NC Carolina. Moving forward, I plan to add language in my lease making it a mandatory request to show the property 30 days before moving out to possible new tenants.

Melloney

0Reply
11 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Indian Trail, NC · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    In NC you do not need their permission to show the place, unless it's stated specifically in your lease.
  • Real Estate Agent · Villa Rica, GA · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 28 votes
    9y
    @Melloney W. You're sure there is no wording in the lease about the owner or property manager gaining access to the property? The standard leases I use allow for entry with 24 hours notice, and a fine ($50 I believe) to the tenant for each instance that they deny access. If not stated in your lease I would research local laws, maybe it's covered in there if not in your state's standard lease agreement.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Open House in this situation I would not do. Set appointments and give tenant 24 hour notice for showings, If they don't cooperate give a lease violation. Let them know you will try and set appointments in a quick manner back to back give a 1 1/2 hour window for 2 or 3 appointments and let tenant know they do not need to leave for you to show it, and the sooner you show it the sooner it will be rented. 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Melloney W. , use this experience to update your lease to include this language, which is not uncommon in a lease. 

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    9y

    You might also considering giving them a bonus of some sort for 'hosting' your showings if you rent to a qualified candidate that looked at the property while they still lived there. Cheaper than losing a month's rent and a happier showing environment.

  • Wholesaler · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you Deanna. I will look into the lease violation. 

  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    When I started doing rentals, I was insistent on showing rentals before the prior tenant vacates. Over the years, I had a few who objected, and I simply let it go. Back then, if the apartment is in good shape, no painting needed, I could show it in June while the tenant is there, and even rent the place out by July 1, without losing any rent.

    But now, having done rentals for a while, the stress on both me and my tenant simply isn't worth it. Now if a tenant vacates June 30, I schedule painters in there before Jul 4, have my open houses, and rent it out by Aug 1, losing one months rent. Works out much better for me and every one else.

    I had a rental down the street from a local grocery store, the owner owns the rental next to mine. One day we spoke about this problem and he was stubborn, forcing the tenant to allow showings before vacating, says he had it in his lease allowing it. He use local realtors doing the showings, and he one time had no luck renting the place, even a month or two after the prior tenant left. Then he found out that the prior tenant who made sure one of them is home during showings, bad mouthed the place, talking about mold, rats, leaky pipes, and what a lousy slumlord he is, to the prospects. The realtors mentioned nothing to him, just avoided renting his place afterwards, until months later. He told me, it's lesson learned.

    The one negative experience I had was with a undercover narcotics cop. Said he rather not have people trooping in and out of his place with his newborn. I said, its no big deal, and I'll be be with them, we'll be in and out quick. and we did 2 open houses. He reluctantly agreed. So on open house day, he's waiting in the kitchen, more like lying in wait, with a big gun strapped under his shoulders. He's a big stocky guy, with a mean look to match. I had several women who came, took one look at him. and gasped. I'm standing there, watching, saying "it's OK, he's a cop, and a good one at that, he won't bite you."

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.