My first investment property as a house hack

My first investment property as a house hack

Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 35 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Jonesboro.

Purchase price: $96,000
Cash invested: $4,100

I bought the house with two tenants in it and I have to honor the lease so I can't move in until one of their leases expire. Its currently October 2019, one tenant signed a one year lease so I at least have her there paying my mortgage note for my first year. She's been there for one year already and seems to always pay on time so I hope it stays that way. The other tenant, their lease expires in April, and that's when I plan to move into the property, but until then Im just collecting rent.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I get to live for free. Whats better than that. I live for free while some else builds my net worth.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I actually found this deal on the MLS. I negotiated it with the repairs it needed. I made the repairs my self with the help of a contractor who was really helpful giving me pointers on everything.

How did you finance this deal?

FHA loan

How did you add value to the deal?

I repaired the entire roof, all the windows, and plumbing.

What was the outcome?

I am cash flowing and this property is in an amazing location.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Yes, I worked with a real estate agent named Brent Meeks, who was actually on the 7 figure flipping podcast. He's my mentor and also my agent at the same time. He's a great mentor who i would recommend to any one as an agent in this Jonesboro, Arkansas area. He has 40 rental properties and flips a lot of houses and owns 7 companies.

1Reply
18 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    @Justin Lee Taylor. Nice job man. Killin it.

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    6y

    If you financed with FHA loan you have to move in within 60 days. I hope you were made aware of that by the lender. If you violate it and get caught, you can get prosecuted for mortgage fraud, which can mean that you would be at least made to refi your property as an investor, which is least severe of the punishments.

    https://www.fhaloans.com/artic...

    Based on purchase date of October 2019, you should move in somewhere around Jan 2020. What am I missing? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2019 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    @Justin Lee Taylor

    Where at in Jonesboro is it? What Lendor did you use? I just closed on my first deal in Jonesboro as well in September.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi there - thank you for this post. I’m looking at properties in Jonesboro as well but I’m from out of town. Any recommendations for agents and property manager? 

  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Chinmay J. I am paying one of the tenants to move out! We’ve already fixed all that. I move into the property in about 2 weeks

  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Mary Vilela hey if you’re interested in buying some properties message me directly. We can talk. I am part of a wholesaling business that wholesales quit a few deals. We can talk more if you’re a serious buyer

  • Investor · Jonesboro, AR · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Reid hey man, if you have any questions you’re always welcome to reach out and call me. I’m part of a wholesaling business that can help you get your first property if you’re a serious buyer

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.