Flipper · Arlington, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
I have always hired a general contractor and his crew to do my rehabs. Now I want to go to the next level and assemble my own guys. so here's where I'm at. I have a pretty good idea as to the order to build back after demo, what types of things can be worked on at the same time and a few things that obviously have to wait until the end. but... I'm not claiming to know it all, I've only learned through hands on experience observing my rehabs being worked on, but I'm not a contractor myself. Thus, my question -- is there anything out there at a medium to high level that just cuts to the chase and talks about such things and give tips and suggestions on best practices, do this before doing that etc ? am I thinking too hard?
Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
4y
No your not overthinking this. If you can talk the talk with contractors then do it. It really takes quite a personality and certain brains to deal with contractors. They do work hard for the money, but they know the tricks on how to do the job and not do it all.
Great example, yesterday the appliances came in for a tri plex and I had to sign off and the installers hid the stove earthquake support underneath the paperwork ( warranties). whey did they hide it? Because it was not easy to install on cement flooring underneath the vinyl.
My mistake. contractors never clean up. They are so busy that they are doing several jobs at a time.
So just to get them their is work.
Do you really want to General the jobs?
My plumber and electrician are on the spot guys, the appliance guys that installed where not.
I would do another couple deals together and hire a General.
You can make more money finding one good deal that all the savings on several re habs, being the general. I have worked with several wholesalers that general their work. What a joke, they don't know what they are doing.
They make bad decisions all the time , and they don't think at all.