East Bay Meetup - Dec 10 in Oakland?

East Bay Meetup - Dec 10 in Oakland?

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

It’s time to schedule (another) meet up in the East Bay! I recently had the pleasure of meeting quite a few fellow BP investors in San Francisco, and had a great time enjoying some drinks and learning from everyone’s different approach/strategy/mindset. I believe Andy Kaufman arranged the last East Bay meetup (I was not there), but I’d like to join in and start another. (I’m going to post this on the old thread too) Hopefully we could make it a regular thing. Please post if you are interested!

I’m proposing to meet in Oakland at the Trappist (bar), about 4 blocks from the 12th St Oakland BART station in early December – Tuesday, December 10? I’m proposing this location due to its central proximity in travel time from many areas within the Bay, and the number/frequency of BART trains. The bar is a pretty good size (‘good for groups’ on Yelp) and has a great beer selection! (and other drinks and food). Not too close to either of the holidays..

BART travel times to 12th St Oakland :

San Francisco, Embarcadero - 11min

Berkeley – 11min

Walnut Creek – 23min

Daly City – 29min

Fremont – 36min

Below are some local folks I thought might be interested. Please post on here if you would like to come, and if you can come on Tues, December 10 from 6:30-9PM (or as late as you want to stay). If you would like to come, but cannot make that date, state if you can do it on the 11th or 12th instead (or some other date if necessary). If you know someone else who might be interested, please tag them also so they can get a notification.

@Andy Kaufman , @Sarah Lam , @Michaela G. , @Johnson H. , @Adam Hofmann , @Arron Sweeney , @Peter K. , @Sam Magi , @Joe C , @Amit , @Jay Dao , @Bri R. @Denise Madrid , @Jaren Barnes , @Jessica Yau , @Ralph E. , @Bill Bockwoldt , @Minh L. , @Jimmy Tu , @Tosin Olatunbosun

Obviously, many of my tags did not work. I tried! I swear! Hope to see lots of folks out there!

I’m also going to add some ‘keywords’ to the bottom of this post for those locals who have keyword alerts for their area:

Keywords: East Bay , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules Concord Albany Pittsburgh Marin San Rafael South Bay Peninsula

0
Topic locked
256 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 5 votes
12y

@J Martin this was a great success. To have so many people show up is always great. Learnt so much just talking to so many people who have been doing this for so long. Thank you for organizing!
@Minh L. Thank you for sharing your success stories. It was a pleasure meeting you
@Joey nice meeting you as well. Best wishes in the split business venture. Do keep in touch if you have any property in the Hayward/bay area
@Amit M. Thank you very much for your advice on the purchase. I look forward to our next meet up so i we can talk more about your success stories.
@Denise and @Chris all the best with the property. I will keep in touch if i know someone looking for residential property in Oak.

3
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I'm in San Jose. If there ever any meetings on wed-sat I will make it unless out of town. I'd love to meet with other fellow BPers!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I'm in

    1
    Topic locked
  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    12y

    @Dee Cross There was a San Jose Meetup last week for BP'ers. @Minh L hosted it.

    The @'s only work unless A) they have already posted on the thread, or B) you are connected to them.... but great idea on doing the keywords. Glad to see I'm not the only Californian one up and checking BP early in the morning. (@Michaela G. !)

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Troy Fisher I have a German Wirehaired Pointer, who needs to run for a while or he'll climb the walls. And since I can't trust him with other dogs, I have to get up while it's dark, so that I can go to Hercules Point and let him run before there's anybody else. And sometimes I go back to bed when we come back ;-)

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Coach · Chicagoland · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 101 votes
    12y

    I'm in as well. See you then!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I'm in! Looking forward to networking with you all.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Chris MusicPro Member
    Investor · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2013 · 219 posts · 66 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin thanks for taking the lead on this. Count me in.

    @Denise Madrid see you there!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Southern CA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    Calendar marked!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Thank you for organizing this. I will be there!! Looking forward to meeting fellow BP members.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hi J Martin,

    Thanks for reaching out. I'll have to ask for my wife's permission first. To be honest, I don't even know how to take BART or Caltrain. If I go, more than likely I will drive, but traffic at that time is bad. Hmm......

    @Troy Fisher , Pete Tam was the one who organized the Meet-up in San Jose. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Then we'll meet at The Trappist bar on Tues, 12/10/13 near 12th St BART in Oakland at 6:30PM!

    @Dee Cross , sorry you can't make it this time.. Next time, we can shoot for Wednesday instead.

    @Michaela Graham , definitely interested in hearing more about GA and how everything pencils out.. I think you might make a killing on the way up! Way to get in low! How I long for the day when I can (semi) retire on my passive income.. ;) btw, I saw someone from the east coast on a bay area forum who was trying to buy property - specifically in Hercules - to my surprise. Don't know if you're interested in working on a deal out here, but search Hercules and you'll find him.. (On an East Bay Meetup post I think..)

    ps. I saw your post about getting up early, and I'm suspicious of any friend that would try to wake me up so early in the morning! lol

    @Troy Fisher Had the pleasure of chatting the other night at the SF meetup, and hope you can make it out to this one too.. (but I know it's a ways!!)

    @Jaren Barnes , it was also a pleasure, and let me know if you want to turn your marketing machine on my area of Richmond! If you can bring me an off-market 2-4 unit property in the areas I roam with a GRM below 8 (or closer to 7!.. more for you!..), I'm willing to put some money in your pocket.. I don't have time to prospect for off-market properties and just buying on-market for the last 2.

    @Arron Sweeney , got to chat with you a bit in messaging, but looking forward to hearing more about your plans..

    @Chris Music , haven't had the pleasure yet.. but soon will!

    @Denise Alberto , thanks for the recommendation on the contractor (maybe test on my next project), and interested to hearing more about what you're up to.

    @Sam Magi , will be nice to meet face-to-face after some messaging..

    Looking forward to meeting/seeing all of you! Any and all are welcome, so anyone else, come out and say hi!

    0
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed , if you get the OK, it would be great to meet you. It looks like you'd be the most prolific BP member at the meeting if you were able to attend.. I agree traffic will not be great, so I tried to make it close to public transit.. Should be a great group.

    Time to jump on the BART bandwagon! You can relax, read, not pay attention to the honking idiot behind you.. No traffic.. You can drive to the nearest BART station (Fremont?) and trains usually leave every 10/15 minutes. You can get public transit directions door to door for anywhere, anytime in the Bay at www.511.org . Up until last month, I hadn't never tried blood sausage nor did I know what it was (aka black pudding), until I saw it served all over Spain. But I found that I quite liked a lot of them.. Never know what you might enjoy until you get stuck with it!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Bill BockwoldtPro Member
    Investor · Petaluma, CA · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    I'm planning to attend. Looking forward to meeting more of you!

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    I will be there!

    1
    Topic locked
  • CA · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Happii Holidays Everyone,

    I am a newbie whose very interested in Real Estate Investing. I would love to some hear insight, absorb, & ask some questions. I will definitely try to make it.

    Have a wonderful day!!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @J. Martin looks like I can make this one. Thanks for taking the initiative to set this up, and near BART makes it a lot easier :)

    I'll be interested in meeting investors active in Oakland, as I'm giving some thought to investing there for my next property.

    @Account Closed Hi. I talked to your boy Marc, and he seems helpful and friendly :) I also explored the low doc loan option at East West, and it's one I'm considering, depending on my circumstances.

    If you can make the meeting, try BART. It's good to get out of the suburban comfort zone a bit! Just drive/park at Fremont BART station. You can pay for the bart ticket with credit card, so no need to fuss with cash. It's so easy a child can do it :)

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Thanks for setting up a Bay Area meetup for BP'ers @J. Martin . Looks like there will be a good turn out and many knowledgeable investors to meet. Unfortunately I will be out of town. Look forward to joining you all on the next meetup of Bay Area investors.

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Rafael, CA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Officially added to my calendar. Looking forward to seeing you all in Oak-town!

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Bill, Jessica, and Andy, it will be nice to hear more about what you are all on working on. Only

    a limited chance to chat last time..

    Joe C, hopefully you'll be able to make it next time. Andy was thinking about starting something on Saturdays if that works for some who aren't able to attend..

    Amit, glad you could make this one and look forward to meeting you in person!

    Last but not least, welcome to BP and to the East Bay Meetup group Tiffany! Should be a good time! Looking forward to meeting you and hearing about your goals.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Buyer/Wholesaler · San Francisco Bay Area , CA · Member since 2011 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    thanks Jmartin for setting up the meeting in Oakland. I'll see you there.....

    1
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin I will be there!

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Looking forward to meeting and Dennis, and to see you again Ralph. See you all then!

    0
    Topic locked
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I'll try to get the day off to make my first BP meet!

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Hi everyone, just over a week until our meetup in the East Bay and @Amit M. appropriately reminded me that I should repost the info.. I am going to post it below after some brief introductions. So far, we have 13 BP members who have said yes, and a few maybes.. Should be a lively gathering. In an effort to get everyone partially introduced, I took the liberty of copying and pasting the attendees' info from their posting onto one sheet. Here's everyone that's responded on the post so far I believe.. Looking forward to meeting you all, and for some, chatting again. Hopefully this pastes okay..



    J Martin Real Estate Investor, Organizer, Richmond CA
    Ralph E. Residential Loan Officer · Vallejo, California
    Dennis Follain Real Estate Investor · Jacksonville, Florida
    Michaela Graham · Atlanta, Georgia
    Jaren Barnes Bird-dogger · Fremont, California
    Arron Sweeney Multi-family Investor · Berkeley, California
    Chris Music Rehabber · Walnut Creek, California
    Denise Alberto Real Estate Investor · Bay Area, California
    Sam Magi · Concord, California
    Bill Bockwoldt · Petaluma, California
    Jessica Yau · San Francisco, California
    Amit M. Real Estate Investor · San Francisco, California
    Andy Kaufman Real Estate Investor · Berkeley, California





    Maybe


    Peter Nguyen · San Jose, California
    Minh L. Real Estate Investor · San Jose, California
    Tiffany Sabado Newbie · California
    Troy Fisher Real Estate Investor · Aptos, California







































    0
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    What: East Bay BP Meetup

    When: Next Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 - 6:30PM to 9ish (or whenever you need to leave - don't be afraid to show up late if you're commuting)

    Where: The Trappist bar, 460 8th St Oakland, 94607

    Get There: Ride BART to 12th St/Civic Center Oakland & walk down Broadway to decreasing-numbered streets at 8th St. Or search directions for car online.

    0
    Topic locked